New cockroach book

I've wanted to put together a nice, big hardcover pet cockroach book for a few decades but it was not possible till a few years ago without going bankrupt. The problem was you could never sell enough copies to pay the basic print costs of a traditional print run but print on demand technology has improved greatly. I have been working on a text for some years now and was wondering what other roach hobbyists thought about splitting a book into two parts to get the cost down to 35 versus one big, complete one at 60. I wonder if it's possible to sell even a few books at the higher price. I may not have an actual say in the matter.

I think the people who would buy the books would want both of them, myself included, so I would rather pay $60 for one book with all the info in one place, than pay $70 for two books... More money for less convenience doesn't really make sense on my end. Printing on demand can cost the author almost nothing upfront, depending on where you do it. Have you looked at self-publishing on Amazon? Either way, I'm psyched to hear this news.... I've been wishing for a big Orin roach book for years now! Exciting news! :D

Thanks. The reason I thought it would be better is someone could buy one and wait six months to buy the next if they didn't have the money or just get one since they wouldn't need to have both. Two hardcovers with different covers might look nicer on the shelf (sort of like the way one of the beetle breeding books was split up). It will probably just be one though.

I would also vote for one book. That way when some asks me "really roaches" I can hand them a book full of beautiful pictures of roaches and they can flip threw and say wow there are some awesome roaches.

Glad to hear the book is coming, Orin! One book would probably be best, but I'd still buy if it was split up into two. Splitting it up definitely gives the keeper options for species (I'm guessing it'll be split up by family to an extent? Or maybe by easier to keep vs intermediate-hard to keep?) so they can pick and choose more, and the aesthetics of two will look nice, but I think being able to save money in the long run is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Depends on the book....look at what the book Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Care costs.....125.00 to 200.00 bucks....(Crested Geckos) Its the bible for Crested Geckos enthusiasts and a feather in your cap if you have it on hand to show your friends.....dropping that kind of coin is no big deal if you're a serious hobbyist with the desire to learn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151882648669?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.amazon.com/Rhacodactylus-Complete-Guide-their-Selection/dp/0974297100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464400790&sr=8-1&keywords=Rhacodactylus%3A+The+Complete+Guide+to+their+Selection+and+Care

If you're looking to make the definitive book on roaches, the most complete "encyclopedia" that will in effect be the bible never to be bested in its entiriety.....then one book and charge three figures for it. If you write it...it will sell

Now myself, I'm easily bored with a short attention span.....why bother with one BIG book...break it down into 3,4,5, or 6 books....one out every other year...load it with pictures.....have folks send you pics giving them credit for the photo in the book.....load it with information where every question imagined is answered in a reference focusing in on a particular region maybe, how 'bout a book on the BIG boys and rarities, maybe a book on breeding, lots of other categories could be focused on.

Beside it being your legacy and worthy of your very best effort which should make you proud of the book, but you will also be giving back to the hobby and putting a buck in your pocket....no shame in that.....donate a portion of the proceeds if you wanted to a university or project related to roaches that can expand the knowledge base.

Think big...half measures avail us nothing imho