Pterostichus permundus

Hi guys!

I found a couple Pterostichus permundus ground beetles today. I believe they are predators and want to know what would be good to feed them in captivity.

Thanks!

Roach nymphs, mealworms, dog/cat food, and lots of other soft bodied invertebrates. Though they are hunters, I find it's best to give them pre-killed prey, as they are pretty clumsy and lose moving prey easily. Keep them on moist coconut fiber, and if you are lucky you may get them to lay eggs for you!

Roach nymphs, mealworms, dog/cat food, and lots of other soft bodied invertebrates. Though they are hunters, I find it's best to give them pre-killed prey, as they are pretty clumsy and lose moving prey easily. Keep them on moist coconut fiber, and if you are lucky you may get them to lay eggs for you!

Thanks for the info! I was so angry, I have 2 of them but I would have gotten 3 if I didn't let my little brother hold one of them, he ran with it and right when he was over an anthole he dropped it by accident and it ran in! I tried to dig it up but sadly it went to far in and escaped. :( Hopefully I've got a pair with the 2 I have though.

No problem, hope they do well for you! That sucks that that one got away, hopefully you can find more. This species is very pretty, what with the slight iridescent shine! Any chance you can get some pics of them soon? :)

I'll try to get some pics right now! I'll take some of the beetles and of the 13 baby wolf spiders I caught!

Ah, you're lucky, you have acamera that will take good macro pics with flash, my camera won't let me take macro pics while having the flash on. <_<

Can't wait to see the pics! :D

Not Pterostichus, they are Dicaelus, most likely D.elongatus. :) A very cool genus, one I wish we had here in ID.

No, bugsincyberspace has fed his fish pellets and they readily ate them, so I'm sure they would accept other food items. :)