Arenivaga sp. "genitalis"

Got a sexed pair of nymphs from Roachcrossing a couple of days ago. Here are some pics of this neat species! :)

A.geni%25232.JPG

A.geni%25233.JPG

A.geni%25234.JPG

• Like 1

Nice species! I love the small hairs on their bodies, my P.saussurei have some hairs on their bodies too and it's funny when they come out of the substrate and they have substrate stuck on them! :D

Nice species! I love the small hairs on their bodies, my P.saussurei have some hairs on their bodies too and it's funny when they come out of the substrate and they have substrate stuck on them! :D

Yep, many Polyphagids have hairs all over, it's one of my favorite things about them! :D

• 4 months later...

Any updates on these?

Not really, just did maintenance on their cage yesterday and saw movement in the soil, so at least one of them is alive lol! Why do you ask?

Well...I was looking up posts about Arenivaga and this post came up so I got curious. lol

OK lol! Was just hoping it wasn't because your culture died out or anything, 'cause my history with this genus is sketchy at best, don't know if I'll be successful in starting a colony or not lol!

I think they may have grown a little bit, will try to get some pictures of the cuties soon! :)

OK lol! Was just hoping it wasn't because your culture died out or anything, 'cause my history with this genus is sketchy at best, don't know if I'll be successful in starting a colony or not lol!

I think they may have grown a little bit, will try to get some pictures of the cuties soon! :)

Unfortunately I've lost my colony a while ago :(

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Unfortunately I've lost my colony a while ago :(

Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Dang, that sucks, sorry to hear that. :( So is it a bad idea to have most of the substrate bone dry with a moist corner? That's how I've been keeping my Polyphaga, and I was hoping Arenivaga would have the same care needs, but since my A.tonkawa males keep dying, I'm thinking I might be wrong.

An occasional sprits is fine bud, brings my polyphaga to the surface. I usually do it when I feed. One time every one or two weeks but don't go crazy lol

Well the Polyphaga do very well in extremely dry conditions but my first male A.tonkawa died of dehydration. Since then I've made sure my Arenivaga always have a moist corner in their cages, which is pretty easy to maintain.

However, since my second male died, I'm wondering if the rest of the substrate should be semi-dry instead of bone dry. My A.genitalis have done very well with bone dry substrate and a moist corner though, so maybe I'm just over thinking it.

They seem to need more moisture than desert species as I've had my nymphs desiccate to death when I kept them dry, and I've received specimens collected from moist rat burrow.

Yeah, I may keep them more moist now, maybe half of the substrate should be moist instead of the one corner. Thanks for the info! :)

• 1 month later...

My female matured this week, and my male is a subadult I'm pretty sure, so I will soon have a breeding pair! :)

Here are a couple pics of the female:

A.genital%25231.JPG

A.genital%25232.JPG

The flash makes her look a little more vividly colored than she is in real life, but she is still a very attractive shade of red in reality. :D

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Roach collector said:

Has your male matured? If so any egg cases yet? 

No, not yet, I'm hoping he will soon though! :)

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cariblatta lutea said:

Glad to see that these are doing well for u :)  Are u keeping them on sand?

Thanks! :) No, I'm keeping them on coconut fiber, I moved them to a small deli cup with compacted sandy substrate in it for the photoshoot, since there's no way I can get them to not burrow in their own enclosure. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...