Panchlora sp. "White"!

FINALLY got some offspring from my older female, here are some crappy pictures of them:

PanchloraWhiteNB%25231.JPG

PanchloraWhiteNB%25232.JPG

PanchloraWhiteNB%25233.JPG

Let's hope my other two female will produce some offspring as well! :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CockroachTV said:

Wow, they are awesome. I would give a lot to get them to Europe:o

Yeah, they are stunning roaches! :D Unfortunately like a lot of other stunning roaches, these guys are hard to breed, definitely the most finicky Panchlora in culture! :( Females seem very fragile and prone to aborting oothecae, especially if shipped or in substandard conditions. Their future in the hobby is very precarious indeed, only a handful of people have them, and we all have pretty small colonies now.

• 3 months later...

One of my females gave birth to another litter of nymphs, so my colony numbers are really on the rise now! :D

Here are a couple pictures of an old adult male:

PanchloraWhiteMale%25231.JPG

PanchloraWhiteMale%25232.JPG

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2018 at 7:02 PM, Hisserdude said:

One of my females gave birth to another litter of nymphs, so my colony numbers are really on the rise now!

Updates? Have you had any success with establishing a decent size colony?

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:52 AM, Test Account said:

@Axolotl

Hisserdude quit the hobby

=(

He is technically still breeding these, although it is unlikely that there'll be a response from him here anytime soon since he doesn't browse the forums much at the moment.

Hisserdude has had some improvements in his "white" colony but they still aren't a huge bustling colony and are still at a very precarious position in the us hobby, hopefully if the colony continues to do well and the new dietary changes he has made work out I'll be trading him one of my very rare species for some so we can start spreading this difficult but beautiful species within the hobby?

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, Marco Sonnenscheisse said:

Maybe I am in error, but I suspect to have a little part (circa 5%) yellow adults 

under my Panchlora nivea. 

Could that be or did I everytime see a freshly molten one?

Greetings, M

At least two other Panchlora species in the hobby, (Panchlora sp. "Costa Rica" and Panchlora sp. "Speckled") have yellow color morphs, so it's possible you could find yellow P.nivea individuals... I'd try and separate those ones, and see if it's actually a color morph that can be isolated! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I separated a first highly yellow female, unfortunately, I do not have a yellow male yet, 

but I hope there will be other yellows in the future.

But offspring from this yellow female would be a first success, too.

By the way, not every of my few yellow specimen is colored in such a bright yellow. 

Some only have yellow sprinkles or their green is a bit yellowish. 

Here a foto of the very yellow female:

Panchlora nivea gelbes Weibchen.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marco Sonnenscheisse said:

Panchlora nivea gelbes Weibchen.jpg

Very nice, and this came from a Panchlora nivea colony, are you sure? Because there's a very similar, unidentified species in the hobby that goes by the name of Panchlora sp. "Costa Rica", and that stock is well know for producing yellow individuals on occasion. 

If this came from a true Panchlora nivea colony, not a mislabeled sp. "Costa Rica" colony, then this would be a first for the hobby. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello!

The depicted female is the most yellow I had till now, others were not this yellow or only in parts. 

From the Panchlora genus I only care for P.nivea. Most of the adults look like P.nivea has to look like.

Yesterday I met a good friend of mine who shard my observation that in his P.nivea culture is 1:50

yellow amongst the green adults (similary like Gyna lurida).

Nearly the same as Panchlora nivea looks a culture sold here since a few years as Panchlora sp.

"Northern Costa Rica", but they are also green.

Panchlora nivea we have in culture since some decades, so I hope mine are not crossbreeded.

Separating single specimen is not much fun because some of the others get airborne, the two I 

separated unfortunately did not breed.

Greetings, Marco

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 6:44 PM, Marco Sonnenscheisse said:

is not much fun because some of the others get airborne

I usually cool'em down a little - e.g., having usually +26...+28C,  I bring the box to +18...+20 for a night or so, after it they're less active and do not even try to fly. 

It's also the way of, e.g., changing substrate or taking a group.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, LongBoi said:

Those look really amazing! i bet you could make serious money selling those!

Well I'm not in it for the money, I just like keeping interesting roaches and helping them become established in the hobby... :) Unfortunately my colony was sent to a friend when I took a break from the hobby, and they did not breed for him, so the species is essentially lost from US culture... 

5 hours ago, wizentrop said:

I still have plenty. I sent some nymphs to Taiwan this year and they arrived well.

Unfortunately according to a couple of my friends, it seems the US Customs are being a bit more "cautious" of boxes from CA... :(

Yes, thank you. I haven't seen this being mentioned anywhere. More of my boxes were inspected this summer than last year. Most still went through and reached their destination, especially those with arachnids, but I think there has been some change in the inspection protocol. On the other hand, there were some nice organized imports to the US this year using Reptile Express, like the velvet worms.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:47 AM, wizentrop said:

Yes, thank you. I haven't seen this being mentioned anywhere. More of my boxes were inspected this summer than last year. Most still went through and reached their destination, especially those with arachnids, but I think there has been some change in the inspection protocol. On the other hand, there were some nice organized imports to the US this year using Reptile Express, like the velvet worms.

Well the majority of people here in the US don't have permits for legally bringing in roaches, which is why I believe the packages with roaches in them being shipped from CA are being confiscated more regularly now... (though one of my friends also had his arachnids from you confiscated at the border too). 

As I understand it, the velvet worm ordeal was completely different in that it's not illegal to import them from other countries, as they are predatory and I do not believe laws have been made here regarding bans on that group of invertebrates, (considering they are so rarely kept). They also shipped them through an actual animal exporting service.