Lucihormetica verrucosa & Gromphadorhina oblongonota housing (For a first roach)

So I'll be getting Lucihormetica verrucosa and Gromphadorhina oblongonota as first roaches (3 nymphs of each). I'll be keeping them both in two separate Critter Keepers. Are L. verrucosa escape artists? Reason I'm asking is that I bought these CKs off of someone for a dollar and the one for the L. verrucosa has a decent sized crack on the side. I'll be attaching tape to it so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I have cocofiber as a sub and will be mixing oatmeal along with fish food and occasional peeled apple bits for their main diet. I will also be getting Oak leaves later on (a week or two after), would this be okay, or do they need it right away? Do they need moist sub? Reason being is that I bought the cocofiber bricks and I was wondering if I should let it dry first or would it be okay to put them in it?

Also, to help reduce the risk of escapes, I'll be lining the sides with Vaseline and also cover the top with foil/plastic wrap with holes in it. Would this help prevent escapees?

The nymphs of Luchihormetica cannot climb, but they are pretty small. I would mostly be worried about the gromphadorhina nymphs slipping through the ventilation holes, but hopefully the Vaseline will prevent this.

I wouldn't say luchihormetica are escape artists. Mine hang out near the substrate or underground nearly 100% of the time.

The nymphs of Luchihormetica cannot climb, but they are pretty small. I would mostly be worried about the gromphadorhina nymphs slipping through the ventilation holes, but hopefully the Vaseline will prevent this.

I wouldn't say luchihormetica are escape artists. Mine hang out near the substrate or underground nearly 100% of the time.

I'll also be using foil to put over the top of the CK before putting on the top so it can help prevent escape hopefully.

Welcome to roachforum! :) You are Phormic28, correct?

L. verrucosa aren't terrible escape artists as they can't climb as nymphs. The adults aren't super tiny, so you can get some nice ventilation holes at the top of the enclosure without the adults escaping. A Kritter Keeper should keep them contained, though I'd still add the plastic wrap to maintain humidity. You probably don't need the vaseline with the L. verrucosa.

Your diet will work fine, as I stated on Arachnoboards. Leaves are only required for roaches in the family Polyphagidae. The species you listed are in the family Blaberidae, and will survive, and even thrive without leaves. Oak leaves are still a healthy addition to any roach diet if you can get them though!

The hissers should be kept on dry sub with the occasional misting. The glowspots need moist substrate though. Roachcrossing will tell you what the species require in terms of substrate in humidity under the "Detailed Species Stats" dropdown menu.

The vaseline and saran wrap will all but eliminate escapes from these two species.

I never really recommend kritter keepers for roaches, many of them have lose lids, and the enclosure dries out really quickly, which is bad for moisture loving roaches, including Lucihormetica.

While Lucihormetica are not escape artists, Gromphadorhina are, and if there are any gaps they can fit through they will escape.

It's better to go with a shoebox or some other plastic storage container, one with a nice airtight lid. The containers I use come from the Dollar tree, and make nice, cheap enclosures that will keep your roaches contained:

Cage1_zpsmxs9zxc8.jpg

Cage2_zpsl5gqoxwg.jpg

Cage3_zpsp1pwkmpb.jpg

Of course this size container isn't huge, and if you are gonna be breeding your Gromphadorhina you'll need to move them to a bigger enclosure eventually. This would keep your Lucihormetica happy for a good amount of time I would think.

Welcome to roachforum! :) You are Phormic28, correct?

L. verrucosa aren't terrible escape artists as they can't climb as nymphs. The adults aren't super tiny, so you can get some nice ventilation holes at the top of the enclosure without the adults escaping. A Kritter Keeper should keep them contained, though I'd still add the plastic wrap to maintain humidity. You probably don't need the vaseline with the L. verrucosa.

Your diet will work fine, as I stated on Arachnoboards. Leaves are only required for roaches in the family Polyphagidae. The species you listed are in the family Blaberidae, and will survive, and even thrive without leaves. Oak leaves are still a healthy addition to any roach diet if you can get them though!

The hissers should be kept on dry sub with the occasional misting. The glowspots need moist substrate though. Roachcrossing will tell you what the species require in terms of substrate in humidity under the "Detailed Species Stats" dropdown menu.

The vaseline and saran wrap will all but eliminate escapes from these two species.

You are correct! Haha. Thanks for all your help!

So they should be fine with the tape covering the crack? Also, is it okay if the sub is still a bit moist when I place the hissers in?

I never really recommend kritter keepers for roaches, many of them have lose lids, and the enclosure dries out really quickly, which is bad for moisture loving roaches, including Lucihormetica.

While Lucihormetica are not escape artists, Gromphadorhina are, and if there are any gaps they can fit through they will escape.

It's better to go with a shoebox or some other plastic storage container, one with a nice airtight lid. The containers I use come from the Dollar tree, and make nice, cheap enclosures that will keep your roaches contained:

Cage1_zpsmxs9zxc8.jpg

Cage2_zpsl5gqoxwg.jpg

Cage3_zpsp1pwkmpb.jpg

Agreed. A container like this will indeed contain moisture and is plenty of space for the number of luchihormetica you're getting.

You are correct! Haha. Thanks for all your help!

So they should be fine with the tape covering the crack? Also, is it okay if the sub is still a bit moist when I place the hissers in?

Just keep the sticky side facing out so they can't get stuck on it. ;)

Yes, it's fine if the substrate is a little bit moist when you put them in.

Decided to switch Hisser roaches, got the 'oops Hisser', is it still similar in care?

Should have pretty much the exact care needs as the wide horn hissers, except they are smaller and thus even more difficult to contain. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For javanica, I would recommend anything with a lid that fits tightly to the container so no barriers are needed. For ventilation, You can burn holes into the side and top using a metal hanger, or you can cut large holes into the lid and hot glue screen to it. I currently have both of these in use for my hissers and they work really well.