Darkling id please

lovebugfarm

Awesome thank you im really excited i have a good source of these right now i collected quite a few. Also i love that these guys are sexually dysmorphic being able to tell the genders apart will be usefull. :)

Awesome thank you im really excited i have a good source of these right now i collected quite a few. Also i love that these guys are sexually dysmorphic being able to tell the genders apart will be usefull. :)

Good to hear, hope they breed well for you! These are a very cool species of Eleodes, and are luckily very easy to sex. Darkling beetles are my second favorite invertebrate to culture, such a diverse group of beetles, and many of them are so easy to culture! :)

Thanks prolly gonna offer most up for sale and keep a few pairs. From quick reading looks like they produce young readially. Any suggestions on pupateing them? I do isolation on my superworms so i assume its similar. I put supers in empty cups and stop feeding would that work for these guys or would i need to keep feeding and provide substrate in isolation?

Thanks prolly gonna offer most up for sale and keep a few pairs. From quick reading looks like they produce young readially. Any suggestions on pupateing them? I do isolation on my superworms so i assume its similar. I put supers in empty cups and stop feeding would that work for these guys or would i need to keep feeding and provide substrate in isolation?

For most darkling beetles, you need a pretty humid setup for pupation, putting mature larva in empty deli cups with no moisture will kill most non-feeder species. You can separate mature larva and put them in small deli cups filled with moist but not wet, compressed coconut fiber, and they should make a cell at the bottom and pupate. It is best to then gently dig up the pupa and place it on top of the substrate, because as soon as that pupa molts into an adult you will need to remove it right away, otherwise the adult will die from the high humidity.

Ahh great stuff thank you. I have alot of lil cups i hope they are as plentiful as my superworms :) How will i know when the larvae are full grown? Are they closer in size to mealworms or superworms?

Ahh great stuff thank you. I have alot of lil cups i hope they are as plentiful as my superworms :) How will i know when the larvae are full grown? Are they closer in size to mealworms or superworms?

Not exactly sure how big theyare when full grown, as I've never kept that species, but eventually they will stop growing, and some may even attempt to pupate in the cage, that's when you know to separate them. Usually full grown larva are longer than the adults, sometimes quite a bit longer.

Yeah they are pretty cool it was a lucky find was in my friend back yard and they were all hanging out under a tree. The females are very dramaticly round and the males are pretty similar to superworm bettles but have a more pointed abdomin.