Hemithyrsocera histrio

Super jealous, been wanting some for a while! Hope they do well for you, they are supposed to be very prolific, (which means their rarity in the US hobby will probably fade away within a few years). :)

I actually imported them from a friend if mine.

That's what I assumed, haven't seen any for sale in the U.S except for CapeCodRoaches who supposedly has them, but they aren't avalible yet.

Don't know if I'd be brave enough to try to import any insects, but it takes someone to try and get this amazing species into the U.S hobby! How many of these guys did you get?

I bought ten and got about double.

Cape cod has a lot under wraps. Ive talked to him on a personal level and all he's really trying to do is get colonies "established" before selling. Thats really an issue for all people who keep roaches. We think we can setup a colony, trade and end up having too little.

Capered has a lot under wraps. Ive talked to him on a personal level and all he's really trying to do is get colonies "established" before selling. That as really an issue for all people who keep roaches. We think we can setup a colony, trade and end up having too little.

Exactly, that's why I tend to wait a generation or two after I get my first individuals of any roach species before I start selling them off. I got lots of roaches that are doing well for me, but I wait until I have a nice sized, thriving population of a species before I start selling them off, I almost sold off too many of my Therea olegrandjeani nymphs when my first adults bred.

Thats basically what I did with my E. Capucina and then I ended up selling them all completely.

I would hate to lose too many of my his trio. Took way too much for me to get these guys and a nail biting shipping experience. Took 10 days for everything to arrive.

I bought ten and got about double.

Cape cod has a lot under wraps. Ive talked to him on a personal level and all he's really trying to do is get colonies "established" before selling. Thats really an issue for all people who keep roaches. We think we can setup a colony, trade and end up having too little.

That's great! :) Looks like at least 2 people in the U.S will hopefully end up having thriving colonies of these guys! Would be great for this species to be spread throughout the U.S hobby, best of luck in rearing these! :)

Roach crossing has them too lol

And thank you!

Awesome, I was hoping that they would be one of the new species Kyle was going to add to his site! :D

NP :)

They will not be added to his site. The reason these species are kept under wraps is to maintain value and trade value.

That seems kinda lame to me, people should sell things by how prolific and easy to care for they are. Kyle has Rhabdoblatta formosana listed as $60 for a dozen nymphs, they are WAY to prolific for that price IMO, and are super easy to care for, and so I charge $15 for a dozen. Don't know how his colony doesn't crash from overpopulation when he's selling at that price.

Should be the same deal with H.histrio, they are super prolific, and in Europe they are usually priced accordingly, hopefully the same will be true with the US vendors once their colonies get established.

That seems kinda lame to me, people should sell things by how prolific and easy to care for they are. Kyle has Rhabdoblatta formosana listed as $60 for a dozen nymphs, they are WAY to prolific for that price IMO, and are super easy to care for, and so I charge $15 for a dozen. Don't know how his colony doesn't crash from overpopulation when he's selling at that price.

Should be the same deal with H.histrio, they are super prolific, and in Europe they are usually priced accordingly, hopefully the same will be true with the US vendors once their colonies get established.

I second that, seems pretty lame. Would really, really hope that this species would become less rare in the US hobby!

I second that, seems pretty lame. Would really, really hope that this species would become less rare in the US hobby!

Well if I ever get a hold of that species, I'll be selling it for a reasonable price, like this well known European vendor here. 20€ for 10 individuals seems like a pretty solid price to me.

Let me put it this way, roachcrossing exports meaning his species are priced accordingly. Species are not priced based on breeding speed but availibility and rarity. Because he exports, species like r. Formosana are rare in eirope so people will pay. But species that are available there are really cheap. Few people are willing to export ao him being one of the few means he chooses the price. He basically runs a monopoly until others learn to export.

Btw, Hisserdude, I paid wayyyy more than that xD

Thats super cheap and if you did get a hold of them, you would piss a lot of people off by basically ruining the rarity and dropping their price as if they were a common species. In the US, only about 5 people have histrio (I think) and because of that, the price should remain high or trade only for RARE (keyword) roaches.

Let me put it this way, roachcrossing exports meaning his species are priced accordingly. Species are not priced based on breeding speed but availibility and rarity. Because he exports, species like r. Formosana are rare in eirope so people will pay. But species that are available there are really cheap. Few people are willing to export ao him being one of the few means he chooses the price. He basically runs a monopoly until others learn to export.

Btw, Hisserdude, I paid wayyyy more than that xD

Thats super cheap and if you did get a hold of them, you would piss a lot of people off by basically ruining the rarity and dropping their price as if they were a common species. In the US, only about 5 people have histrio (I think) and because of that, the price should remain high or trade only for RARE (keyword) roaches.

I suppose that makes sense for him business wise, but still, that's expensive.

Aww that sucks, should have bought them from Jörg! :lol: (He also has pretty much all the other new species you just got)

I suppose I would, but I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it for the hobby itself, and I'd want to make species as easily available as possible. The market for H.histrio will inevitably crash once enough people get them anyway, as they are pretty prolific.

Btw, rare and beautiful roaches are what keep this hobby interesting. There would be no money in the hobby if species didnt have their own rarity this would basically cause a decline in whats introduced into the hobby.

I know, and some species will stay that way. Some species in this hobby are very slow growers and produce few offspring, and those species will probably stay rare and expensive, and rightfully so. However, for species like H.histrio that are very prolific and fast growing, I feel they should be cheaper.

That's just my opinion though, I know most others, especially those who have this hobby as another way to make an income, feel differently, and that's OK, but as a simple hobbyist who doesn't really care about the money, that's how I feel. :) Now of course I'm not gonna give stuff away for free, just at a low, reasonable price for that species.

Lol i wasn't sure if he shipped worldwide and his page says he has no LAG at all. Wasn't willing to test that lol. I paid and got LAG.

His trio may be prolific but because so few people have them, they're rare and should be treated as such. Correct? If everyone was able to get there hands on the same species for cheap, no one would be willing to trade because theres always a cheaper alternative or better trade from someone else.

Lol i wasn't sure if he shipped worldwide and his page says he has no LAG at all. Wasn't willing to test that lol. I paid and got LAG.

His trio may be prolific but because so few people have them, they're rare and should be treated as such. Correct? If everyone was able to get there hands on the same species for cheap, no one would be willing to trade because theres always a cheaper alternative or better trade from someone else.

He does ship worldwide, though the no LAG thing is a little concerning. He's a well known breeder though, so his packaging is bound to be as good as it gets compared to other breeders overseas.

Correct, however, the only reason that species isn't common here is because people have been keeping them to their selves as bargaining chips, they are certainly prolific enough to be common in the hobby, and in a few years they'll probably end up being used as attractive looking feeders. Now there are some species like the Panesthia sp, Lucihormetica grossei, Elliptorhina davidi and Corydidarum pygmaea for example that are slow breeders and aren't the easiest to care for, and will stay as valuable, rare roaches in the hobby, and that's OK, however, I don't think Hemithyrsocera histrio should be one of those.

Looks like there needs to be some clarification here

1. Kyle hasn't put H. histrio on his website because he simply doesn't have enough specimens to sell atm.

2. H. histrio seems to take a while to hatch and grow. Apparently ooths take several months to hatch and nymphs take a while to grow compare to other Ectobiids commonly available in the hobby.

Please keep in mind that Kyle spent a lot of money and effort to get rare species into culture, which is what is reflected upon his price.

I get you, I agree that there should be some wiggle room with insects that are slow growing and all but anything "new" is going to cost you in order to be one of the few to have it.

True true, new species usually are expensive when they first get in the hobby, all we can do is hope prices get lower as more people obtain them.

Looks like there needs to be some clarification here

1. Kyle hasn't put H. histrio on his website because he simply doesn't have enough specimens to sell atm.

2. H. histrio seems to take a while to hatch and grow. Apparently ooths take several months to hatch and nymphs take a while to grow compare to other Ectobiids commonly available in the hobby.

Please keep in mind that Kyle spent a lot of money and effort to get rare species into culture, which is what is reflected upon his price.

Thanks for the info Alan, did not know they were slow growing compared to other Ectobiids, from what I heard they sounded pretty fast growing, (then again the person I know who was very successful with this species kept them pretty warm, which would have obviously speed up their growth).

I'm sure Kyle does put a lot of effort into obtaining new roach species, (as shown in his last Facebook post), and I really appreciate that, and most of his roaches are reasonably priced, but the pricing specifically of the R.formosana still seems a little steep to me. Sure he's the only one selling them, and they are rare in the hobby, but they just seem a little too prolific to sell at that price. The nymphs my original adults produced grew fast enough to mature before their parents died, and these guys have decent sized litters.

Though now that I think about it, acquiring an Asian species like that without them already being established in the European hobby can't have been easy...

I dont/ wouldn't knock any of kyles or any roach keepers prices lol that man has my utmost respect as well as you Alan.

A roaches value is honestly based off of those who care for them, one may feel that the roach is an amazing must have species and label it as such meanwhile another may think of the roach to have little or no value.

I dont/ wouldn't knock any of kyles or any roach keepers prices lol that man has my utmost respect as well as you Alan.

A roaches value is honestly based off of those who care for them, one may feel that the roach is an amazing must have species and label it as such meanwhile another may think of the roach to have little or no value.

I truly don't mean to put down or insult Kyle in any way, he's a great hobbyist who has always been nothing but nice to me and has always answered any questions I have asked him. :)

And that is true, it all depends on the person pricing them I guess. Sorry that I've completely derailed this topic BTW, we are supposed to be talking about your H.histrio, not about the ranking and pricing of roaches, oops! :rolleyes: