New to Roach breeding.

Roach_slayer

Hey y'all my name is Vidal, and I live in Las Vegas NV.

I recently picked up interest in roach breeding because I wanted to look for good feeders for my tarantulas and at the same time have fun breeding the food they eat while I save.

I recently got:

- Eublaberus pusticus

- Blaberus giganteus

- Blaberus hybrid Fusca/Discoidalis

- Archimandrita tessetala

- G. Portentosa

If y'all have some advice for a noob, I'm all open for advice and sharing tips.

Good day y'all, thanks!!

Looks like you got a good collection going i have 3 of those 5. The main bit of advice is the gigantes and tessaleta should have 3-4 inches of subtrate and dry oak leaves as part of of thier diet to thrive. The other 3 dont need substrate which can be nice theres tons to learn here useing the search function its alot of fun.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! :)

Be sure to give the B.giganteus tons of space, that species handles overcrowding very poorly, and when they mature the freshly molted adults don't like to be bothered. That species also has a pretty high and unusual die off rate, so be prepared for that.

Looks like you got a good collection going i have 3 of those 5. The main bit of advice is the gigantes and tessaleta should have 3-4 inches of subtrate and dry oak leaves as part of of thier diet to thrive. The other 3 dont need substrate which can be nice theres tons to learn here useing the search function its alot of fun.

Niceeee! And yeah I been using the search button a lot since I found this place.

So far I got 2 subadults and 5 nymphs the size of my thumb nail. All still been alive for 2 weeks and I have them on about 3-4 inches of coco with a bit of repti bark from the pet shop. Pretty much same setup for the A. Tesselata except 1 inch less substrate and they seem fine.

As for the Eublaberus posticus, I've done some reading here and they all say that nymphs must have a substrate otherwise they can stress and cannibalize on each other. I only have about 7-10 nymphs.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here! :)

Be sure to give the B.giganteus tons of space, that species handles overcrowding very poorly, and when they mature the freshly molted adults don't like to be bothered. That species also has a pretty high and unusual die off rate, so be prepared for that.

Thanks! I've read lots of your posts and learning!

Yeah I've probably read every B.giganteus thread on here and seems to me that excess heat and disturbance is what stresses them and kills them. I get paid til Friday and you think a 64-68 quart container will do for the giganteus? That's what I'm using for the tesselata right now. Still I'm a noob but I'll get the swing of it in the next few weeks, I learn quite fast and I'm always doing research over anything else less important. Thanks a lot and I hope to learn more from you guys!!!

,Vidal

Oh anouther helpfull thing is vertical climbing area for peppers and giants for molting. If you have nymphs its not something you need right away.

I dont use subtrate for my posticas i leave an inch of frass for them and they do fine. If course i have a swarm of them so i can be more relaxed with them. Starting out with 7 substrates the way to go. :)