Polyphaga aegyptiaca ootheca not hatching...

Hisserdude

It's been almost a year since my P.aegyptiaca females starting laying ootheca, and none have hatched. Now I started with two males, the first one escaped pretty quickly after maturing, and was only with them for a couple of weeks as an adult, maybe less, so it's very possible these ootheca may be duds. However my other male matured around two months ago, and is still with them, so any new ootheca should definitely be fertile.

My enclosure is bone dry except for on corner, which I soak often. Do the ootheca need the subject to be more moist to hatch, or are the current humidity levels OK? None of them look shriveled up or dehydrated, so I've assumed the humidity levels have been OK.

The majority of the ootheca in the cage could be unfertilized, but I do want to make sure conditions are good for them, just in case.

Where are the females dropping them? Does there seem to be one area in particular or are they scattered about? I know ooths of that species take forever to hatch, but there should be at least some signs of hatching by now. It really might have just been that the old male wasn't with the females long enough and you might just have to wait a few more months to see that the younger male did his job.

Where are the females dropping them? Does there seem to be one area in particular or are they scattered about? I know ooths of that species take forever to hatch, but there should be at least some signs of hatching by now. It really might have just been that the old male wasn't with the females long enough and you might just have to wait a few more months to see that the younger male did his job.

Nah the ootheca are all over the place, they just dump them where ever they feel like. Yeah, I'm guessing that first male did not mate with them, otherwise I feel I should have seen hatchlings by now. Will have to just wait and see if their new ootheca that have been fertilized by my new male hatch or not.

Nah the ootheca are all over the place, they just dump them where ever they feel like. Yeah, I'm guessing that first male did not mate with them, otherwise I feel I should have seen hatchlings by now. Will have to just wait and see if their new ootheca that have been fertilized by my new male hatch or not.

Figured they'd be scattering them all over like corydiids are want to do, but I wasn't sure if maybe one area was really attractive to them for some reason.

Figured they'd be scattering them all over like corydiids are want to do, but I wasn't sure if maybe one area was really attractive to them for some reason.

Yeah, I haven't noticed them favouring a specific part of the substrate to lay their eggs, which would make it easier to see which substrate moisture levels they prefer. I will say this though, the females are often found hanging around the moist area, perhaps I should try keeping more of the substrate moist?

Interesting article on Polyphaga aegyptiaca: https://www.research...60e02569853.pdf

Indeed, thanks for sharing. :)

Yeah, I haven't noticed them favouring a specific part of the substrate to lay their eggs, which would make it easier to see which substrate moisture levels they prefer. I will say this though, the females are often found hanging around the moist area, perhaps I should try keeping more of the substrate moist?

Indeed, thanks for sharing. :)

Could be worth potentially wetting a second corner of the substrate to see how they react.

My breeding and successful parameters for aegyptica

Temps: 85 constant

Sub: ground up leaf mix, no cocoa fiber. Completely dry every other week. Wet the entire time one week and skip the next 2.

Food: feed only during dry spells, apples and carrots last a long while when things are dry. Lay one piece of bark down in the center and food goes under it.

Could be worth potentially wetting a second corner of the substrate to see how they react.

Thanks, may have to try that, or maybe I'll just increase the size of the existing moist corner.

Sub: ground up leaf mix, no cocoa fiber. Completely dry every other week. Wet the entire time one week and skip the next 2.

Food: feed only during dry spells, apples and carrots last a long while when things are dry. Lay one piece of bark down in the center and food goes under it.

For the moisture that's pretty much what I do but on a smaller scale, I soak one corner one week and then skip the next, may try soaking a larger area for now on, thanks for the info! :)

I already did that and did not notice a difference. :)

Note that I have the same set up as hisserdude.

Alright, glad to hear someone beat me to that already :)

Man, they really like it hot then. I'll have to see if I can pry the heat mat off my old Orthochirus enclosure to bump mine up. That and add more leaves.

Man, they really like it hot then. I'll have to see if I can pry the heat mat off my old Orthochirus enclosure to bump mine up. That and add more leaves.

Well Kyle's site says that they can breed at 68F, so I think room temps should be fine, though they probably would develop a bit faster at higher temps.

Well Kyle's site says that they can breed at 68F, so I think room temps should be fine, though they probably would develop a bit faster at higher temps.

Anything to speed this species up lol :)

THANKS! Going to modify my enclosure based on your recommendations.

Do you give them just apples and carrots? I give mine apples and carrots and dog food.