Rotten Wood For All!

Hey!

I've got a new blog post that's mostly on some updated enclosures, but is also full of pics!:)

https://allaboutarthropods.blogspot.com/2016/10/rotten-wood-for-all.html

• Like 1

Rotten wood really makes all the difference with isopods. I think that's why my A. maculatum colony is down to just a couple young ones. Hoping to get them to rebound, but not getting my hopes up. Fortunately lots of people are breeding them, so it's easy enough to get more :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Rotten wood really makes all the difference with isopods. I think that's why my A. maculatum colony is down to just a couple young ones. Hoping to get them to rebound, but not getting my hopes up. Fortunately lots of people are breeding them, so it's easy enough to get more :)

I've never kept any isopods without rotten wood so I can't really speak from experience on how greatly it benefits them, but I'm sure it does!

Why aren't you using any rotten wood in their substrate, lack of availability? Yea, glad this species is now readily available in the hobby.:)

1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

I've never kept any isopods without rotten wood so I can't really speak from experience on how greatly it benefits them, but I'm sure it does!

Why aren't you using any rotten wood in their substrate, lack of availability? Yea, glad this species is now readily available in the hobby.:)

Used to have a good amount in there, but when I sifted through the substrate fairly recently it seemed to have mostly been broken down. Threw a bunch of less rotted pieces in there, so we'll see what happens. They sure do eat a lot! 

1 hour ago, pannaking22 said:

Used to have a good amount in there, but when I sifted through the substrate fairly recently it seemed to have mostly been broken down. Threw a bunch of less rotted pieces in there, so we'll see what happens. They sure do eat a lot! 

I see. Best of luck with the A.maculatum! They really do eat a lot, I notice this especially with Armadillidium species.

• Like 1

I don't use rotten wood in any of my isopod enclosures, and they breed like rabbits! They sure do go through a lot of dead leaves though...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

I don't use rotten wood in any of my isopod enclosures, and they breed like rabbits! They sure do go through a lot of dead leaves though...

Leaves definitely seem to be the staple for isopods, but I can't imagine they'd say no to wood as well. Sounds like the start of an experiment to me! :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pannaking22 said:

Leaves definitely seem to be the staple for isopods, but I can't imagine they'd say no to wood as well. Sounds like the start of an experiment to me! :)

Oh I have no doubts they'd eat the wood right up, I'm just saying it's not necessary like the rotten leaves are. 

• Like 2