Hello!

Roach collector

Hello,

My name is Leo and I've kept roaches in the past but stopped shorty after due to some circumstances. I've recently been thinking about joining the hobby again but on a much smaller scale. I used to own many colonies but had to stop due to being very busy such as school and other things. I want to join again and just keep a couple of smaller colonies. Some of my favorite species I've kept in the past and want to have in the future are polyphagids and arenivaga species. These roaches seem so interesting to me with the round females that remind me of a tortoise shells. I also enjoy growing a wide variety of plants and playing video games in my free time. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and back to the world of roach keeping! I'm sure you'll be able to find some species that fill out all your needs/requirements and there are lots of polyphagids on the up and coming in the hobby so you'll have a whole list to pick from in no time! :) 

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm really looking into getting some of the eupolyphaga sinensis rom Cape cod roaches soon! I can't wait to see the new species of polyphagids that will come soon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roach collector said:

Thanks! I'm really looking into getting some of the eupolyphaga sinensis rom Cape cod roaches soon! I can't wait to see the new species of polyphagids that will come soon!

Welcome back!:) The E.sinensis are great, I actually picked up a white-eyed strain of them from Kyle, and I can definitely say they are the most beautiful corydiids in my collection( possibly the most beautiful in the U.S hobby!) The main thing that contributes to their attractiveness is their reflective and colorful setae(here's a blog post I made on them showing the beautiful setae:http://allaboutinsectsblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/50th-post-tinley-park-narbc-expo.html) , which normally appear a bronze color, but appear a number of colors if looked at under sunlight!  Hope you are able to pick some up!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, All About Insects said:

I can definitely say they are the most beautiful corydiids in my collection( possibly the most beautiful in the U.S hobby!) 

I don't know, I think Eucorydia aenea have them beat lol, (at least in my opinion)! :D

3 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I don't know, I think Eucorydia aenea have them beat lol, (at least in my opinion)! :D

Those are stunning! But are they in the U.S hobby?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Those are stunning! But are they in the U.S hobby?

Yeah, last I heard @Forcep from NJ was breeding them, see his thread here. Chances are he's sold or traded some of them by now, so other people in the US may be culturing them as well. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roach collector said:

Have you gotten any egg cases from your sinensis yet? Oh and how do you get a normal E sinensis  to have white eyes? 

Yes, I've gotten about 3 so far. :) It's just a random trait that might show up in a colony, I purchased mine as P.sinensis"White Eye" so the trait was already isolated with mine.

1 hour ago, Roach collector said:

Does that trait make a roach more valuable or rarer than if it was just normal and how spikey are their legs?

Value really depends on how you look at the species and what the demand is. The white eye strain will likely sell for more because white eyes are pretty unique in roaches and I'm guessing it took a long time to completely isolate it since we're talking about polyphagids. Same case with P. americana "white eye" and G. lurida "yellow", though at least those would be faster since both species breed, well, like roaches ;) Price on all will probably go down over time, but I doubt they'll be as cheap as the normal morph, especially with polyphagids. I know some people have tried isolating markings in Therea before, but I have no idea what has been happening with those projects.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roach collector said:

how spikey are their legs?

Not very, they are shy and usually tuck in their legs and stay still when handled anyway.