Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Manuel_P

A. insignis questions

Recommended Posts

Hi, it's me again.

I was thinking about getting Aeluropoda insignis. But first I have a few questions.

Is it true that they reproduce slower than other hissers? Because I don't really want to get a gigantic colony of them

How big should an enclosure for this species be?

And would you guys recommend keeping A. insignis in general?

 

thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My A. insignis were very prolific. They were on par with G. portentosa. This might be different for others but my insignis have always been the fastest producing of all my hissers. I used to keep them in a 30 gallon bin and they filled it out nicely. I'd definitely recommend them. They're a very beautiful and unique species of hisser.

In my experience, the Elliptorhina species reproduce slower. That along with their smaller size might make them a good choice for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I must have been doing something wrong with mine then since I never got any nymphs...my female just kept aborting. I kept my pair warm (next to my scorp enclosure which had a red heat bulb over it) and I misted frequently and gave them plenty of produce. Lots of protein too. Definitely a species worth keeping though, very unique with great coloration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your answers!

17 hours ago, Sleepy Lemur said:

Agreed, insignis reproduce insanely fast if given adequate heat and moisture.

Sounds kinda scary

Do the nymphs have a very hard and thick exo skeleton? Because if not, my assassin bugs might be able to take them down (they love roaches, even adult B. dubia). And if that's the case, the fast reproductive rate might not be a real problem.

 

20 hours ago, Doc said:

In my experience, the Elliptorhina species reproduce slower. That along with their smaller size might make them a good choice for you.

thought about these too, but can't decide on a specific species just yet. Do you have a recommendation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manuel_P said:

Do the nymphs have a very hard and thick exo skeleton? Because if not, my assassin bugs might be able to take them down (they love roaches, even adult B. dubia). And if that's the case, the fast reproductive rate might not be a real problem.

If your assassin are in the genus Platymeris or Pystalla then you don't need to worry about thick hard exoskeletons, adult Platymeris are able to take down mature Gromphadorhina portentosa males no problem! They should definitely be able to handle Aeluropoda, which aren't as heavily built as Gromphadorhina. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

adult Platymeris are able to take down mature Gromphadorhina portentosa males no problem! They should definitely be able to handle Aeluropoda, which aren't as heavily built as Gromphadorhina. :)

Yes, I breed Psytalla horrida. Nice, I didn't think they were able to pierce such heavily armored roaches. I mostly feed them relatively "soft-shelled" prey. Really interesting.

seems like I can go ahead and buy A. insignis without worrying too much :) 

god damn, this hobby is so damn addictive, luckily, I have enough space...for now.. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×