Hisserdude

Lucihormetica grossei

Got a pair of this species from Roachcrossing the other day, they are the largest Lucihormetica in the hobby, and are quite beautiful! :D Hopefully they'll breed for me!

Male

L.grossei%25233.JPG

L.grossei%25234.JPG

Female

L.grossei%25231.JPG

L.grossei%25232.JPG

My male L.grossei and subcincta together for a size comparison, as you can see, grossei is quite a bit bigger!

LucihormeticaComparison%25232.JPG

• Like 6

Totally awesome! Good luck with them; they definitely look worth the effort :wub:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Randomjoe said:

Very nice looking hope they breed for you.

Thanks, me too! :)

2 hours ago, Skyvie said:

Totally awesome! Good luck with them; they definitely look worth the effort :wub:

Yeah, they are amazing, I really love them! Thanks, hopefully they'll reproduce for me, they shouldn't be too hard to breed. 

2 hours ago, varnon said:

I like the size, but I still think L. subsincta is the prettiest of the glowspots.

I also think subcincta is more pretty, just by a little bit though, grossei is gorgeous too! :D Plus my grossei are more active than the subcincta, but not skittish, so I like handling them more. 

Those look awesome, I hope they do well for you =)
I've heard that you can feed them faerie fire mushrooms to make their spots glow, you should try that and record your results!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaberus Craniifer said:

Those look awesome, I hope they do well for you =)
I've heard that you can feed them faerie fire mushrooms to make their spots glow, you should try that and record your results!

Thanks, me too! :)

You know, people always say that, but I doubt it actually works, why else aren't there people posting photos and videos of them glowing on the web? Plus I don't want to rear mushrooms, so...

• Like 1

Lol, yeah, Hisserdude, raise the 'shrooms to get the spots glowing - that should be really easy to do...

^_^Let's see...foxfire mushrooms gathered before a storm or during wet weather (Wikipedia)? Check. Four old decaying hardwood tree stumps and/or logs? Check. High humidity enclosures? Check. Get rid of roach collection because 'shrooms are taking up all extra time? Check. Sign up for counseling because shrooms didn't ever glow? Check.:wacko:

Awesome suggestion, Craniifer, though I don't think most of us are mycologists. It would be wicked cool, however, if someone actually lived in an area where these things grow and could say "Yea" or "Nay" for their effect on luminance in captivity, but....

Maybe we should find volunteers??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skyvie said:

Lol, yeah, Hisserdude, raise the 'shrooms to get the spots glowing - that should be really easy to do...

^_^Let's see...foxfire mushrooms gathered before a storm or during wet weather (Wikipedia)? Check. Four old decaying hardwood tree stumps and/or logs? Check. High humidity enclosures? Check. Get rid of roach collection because 'shrooms are taking up all extra time? Check. Sign up for counseling because shrooms didn't ever glow? Check.:wacko:

Awesome suggestion, Craniifer, though I don't think most of us are mycologists. It would be wicked cool, however, if someone actually lived in an area where these things grow and could say "Yea" or "Nay" for their effect on luminance in captivity, but....

Maybe we should find volunteers??

Yeah, would be quite a bit of work, and I don't have rotten logs ANYWHERE near me, I live in a scrubland type area.... :(

You can buy glowing mushroom kits here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=glowing+mushroom+kit Don't know if they are edible for the roaches though, or if they would even make their glow spots glow at all...

Yeah, I was just havin' a little fun - I wonder if the kits offer the right chemical for the roaches to glow. Hmmm. I guess we'll never know because it seems that most people with Lucihormetica are like me: They just enjoy these beauties without needing the glow! :)

26 minutes ago, Skyvie said:

Yeah, I was just havin' a little fun - I wonder if the kits offer the right chemical for the roaches to glow. Hmmm. I guess we'll never know because it seems that most people with Lucihormetica are like me: They just enjoy these beauties without needing the glow! :)

It would be worth a try, maybe one day I'll get around to experimenting with them, or wait until somebody else does lol! :P Indeed, they are beautiful just the way they are, without the glow! :)

More pictures! :D

Female

L.grossei%25236.JPG

Male

L.grossei%25237.JPG

L.grossei%25239.JPG

L.grossei%252310.JPG

L.grossei%252312.JPG

• Like 2

I'm in love with these guys, the male especially is stunning! :D

L.grossei%252317.JPG

L.grossei%252316.JPG

• Like 1

Beautiful pair of animals!!  Good luck with the breeding of that pair!!

40 minutes ago, dactylus said:

Beautiful pair of animals!!  Good luck with the breeding of that pair!!

Thanks, they certainly are beautiful! :D Fingers crossed I'll have babies soon!

• Like 1