I've had a colony of giganteus for a few years now and it's population seems to wax and wane dramatically. At one point overrun and now I probably only have 10 adults and a decent number of nymphs. This has happened before but I never hammered down the cause. Enclosure is a sterility bin about the size of a 20 gal  with maybe 4 inches of substrate with lots of cork bark.

2 minutes ago, Centipede Uncivil said:

I've had a colony of giganteus for a few years now and it's population seems to wax and wane dramatically. At one point overrun and now I probably only have 10 adults and a decent number of nymphs. This has happened before but I never hammered down the cause. Enclosure is a sterility bin about the size of a 20 gal  with maybe 4 inches of substrate with lots of cork bark.

What does the substrate consist of? I believe a substrate of rotten wood and dead leaves is supposed to be vital to the health of these guys.

This species never does as well as the smaller ones in the genus which is why it usually costs quite a bit more (still just a few bucks). In my experience small numbers are caused by less than regular care or trading off too many.