How to get roaches out of container to feed

I have been wondering, there must be an easier way to get roaches out of a container to feed them then I have been using.

I have my turkistan roaches in a large plastic container with egg crates (stacked vertically) and coconut fiber, and I have been using a small vial to try and get/scoop small roaches out to feed but it doesn't work very well. There must be a better and easier way to do it. Does anyone have suggestions? How do you easily get your roaches out to feed them?

• Like 1

I keep egg crate pieces, too, but I also have a bunch of toilet paper rolls in there. I'll grab one of the rolls and shake it into a container. I'll feed my insectivores from the roaches in that container (tongs usually).

• Like 1

I agree. Paper towel or toilet paper roll. That's what I did when I used lobster roaches. Alot will run out when you remove it but usually enough left to feed from. With my hissers a have plastic plants (they are in a display tank). The nymphs hide is them. Just a quick shake into a cup and I'm ready to roll. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I almost lost one of my nymph Halloween roaches the other day.  Fortunately I spotted it at the top of the container and got it into the bottom.  They arrived a few days ago so it's a challenge getting used to working with them.  Dubias are great because they cluster in the bottom of the bin  I also have cleaner crew lesser meal worm beetles and discoid roaches, but have recently read the beetles can escape and invade other containers.  I'm not sure I should have obtained the beetles 😞