stanislas

Another Archimandrita tesselata male hissing

Today I managed to capture a video of another of my Archimandrita males hissing when disturbed. 
Anyone else with hissing Archimandrita roaches? 

• Like 3

Nice, good footage of this interesting behavior! :) Many people have reported their peppered roaches hissing, I had a female once, she never hissed, but she was rather old and pretty laid back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CockroachTV said:

They only try to bite me xD

:o? Well, mine tend to do that when hungry... Yours do so as defence? Creepy :) 

1 hour ago, dactylus said:

What kind of gear did you use to record the audio?

I used a canon 70D with a 50mm lens. No external microphone.  I wish I had used that to make a better quality recording. 
I had to amplify the sound as these roaches hiss fairly faint. 

There are some fairly inexpensive mics out there if you're interested in making better quality "nature" recordings.  You can check here for some really nice "used" audio gear if you're interested.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=7.0

There is also a wealth of information available on that site for audio and video recording.

I've noticed mine will hiss some but not a lot, rhino roaches and blaberus species are know for hissing as well

• Like 1

My male Archimandrita will hiss, too, when he needs me to back off. I think I once heard ond of my females do it as well, but I might have mistaken it with wing noises.

• Like 1

I have never heard this in any animals in my colony but it's definitely very cool! Also never heard Macropanesthia rhinoceros hiss yet since mine are little so I potentially look forward to them doing it when larger.