Beetle trap problems

Guest AlexW

Guest AlexW

1. Every night, enormous populations of a cricket that looks remarkably like Gryllodes sigillatus swarm out onto sidewalks, walls, and gardens here. I wish to get some ground-dwelling darklings with a pitfall trap, so how can I avoid catching ten hundred insects too many?

2. How can I stop trapped insects from attacking each other?

I may be impossible to not trap the crickets unless you go to a area where the crickets are not present, as for preventing the insects from fighting you can just put a ball of grass in there so they can climb around 

I don't think spiders are to interested in eating beetles, it also allows the beetle to grab on to something in case it gets flipped over plus it creates hiding areas for the beetles so there is less of a chance that the spider will find it. But it's not full proof 

Guest AlexW
1 hour ago, Redmont said:

I don't think spiders are to interested in eating beetles, it also allows the beetle to grab on to something in case it gets flipped over plus it creates hiding areas for the beetles so there is less of a chance that the spider will find it. But it's not full proof 

I was mostly thinking of more softbodied animals like caterpillars and earwigs.

For cataphilers I would figure out what species you are interested in and what host plant they feed on and find them on the plants, I think mostly cataphilers that feed on gas and weeds will be wondering on the ground