CA absolute insect ban

Guest AlexW

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1364136

I read the document and it said something about not a single invertebrate being allowed for propagation in CA, if my comprehension is correct. @Peter Clausen (bugs in cyberspace) has not mentioned it in his shop yet. If I'm correct, you aren't allowed to noncommercially breed or have dead insects, even if they are just ordinary ladybeetles or butterflies, without a permit.

Also, what are laws on taking live insects from one part of CA and moving them to another part of CA as pets?

One sentence: Is it over yet?

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

Fish and game claims all authority over the animals living outdoors in your state.

Are you implying that the ban is already in place?

In all onisty I don't think it will affect CA residents to much, there's plenty of people in the US that have exotic beetles and stick insects. And FL residents that have exotic roaches. I'm sure lots of members will still ship to california maybe not big websites because USDA would be watching them.

You may be right...

But I plan on hosting a big noisy "educational" event. I don't think it's a good idea for the reasons Axolotl mentioned.

20 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

No. Fish and Game is about wild animals

You are asking me to contact them and protest the collecting permits, then? I think the "public comment period" is over, but I'm not sure. Also, one of the bugguiders said that "these laws are already on the books". If no one here tells me that they've been repealed, I might have some trouble hosting an educational insect event with my wild-caught Cotinis....

31 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

and there are surprisingly not that many cool insects in CA

Orin, um, err, we obviously disagree on how "cool" is defined. Some 1-cm darklings/carabids can live more than half a year, exhibit bright, flashy colors and entertaining antics, and reveal behaviors that not even professional entomologists have documented.

I didn't say there were no cool bugs, and yes if the regulations are on the books you take some risk catching or displaying CA inverts, even if the same species is from another state and you don't have iron-clad evidence. I'm glad they don't have that in my state; I would be arrested when the see the massive collection of dead insects stuck to the front of my car.

5 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I didn't say there were no cool bugs, and yes if the regulations are on the books you take some risk catching or displaying CA inverts, even if the same species is from another state and you don't have iron-clad evidence. 

Well, I didn't say that you said there were no cool bugs, either. I still think there are very very many "cool inverts" in CA.

The image above says non-commercial propagation purposes, and I didn't breed any of mine yet. I don't know if merely keeping them alive for noneducational and nonscientific purposes is allowed (legal documents are much more annoying than unpronounceable taxonomy), but I don't like the smell of where this is heading.

Anyone have updates on the regulation's fate? Because if I interpreted it correctly and it's still alive, you can't even catch and then breed fruit flies or other silly, mediocre creatures...