Sign in to follow this  
Matttoadman

Hisser allergy

Well I reached in my hisser tank and scratched my arm on a piece of bark. Within seconds my arm broke out into hives. Now I truely know I am allergic to them. It seemed I have been fighting a lot of allergy symptoms when I got home lately. I am curious as to why hissers cause allergies more than other species. My others species (dubia and Eublaberus serranus) seem to cause me no issues. Bahhhh there goes my tarantula feeders.

You could wear some gloves when you clean their cage, like some cheep plastic gloves. Also I remember that hissers have quite a few different molds growing on there body, I don't remember the article but I bet you could be able to find it.

I would need a respirator as well. It's not worth having them.  Interesting mold?

https://news.osu.edu/news/2008/03/17/hissroach/.       Yep this says mold spores. It also appears the mites that done have may keep them in check. So we try to get rid of mites thinking they are a problem and it creates one. Ain't that like us humans lol

• Like 1

I use vinyl disposable gloves when handling my hissers. Also keep in stock disposable dust masks that I get at a local hardware store. These have helped hugely. I also break out in hives with my cave roaches and deaths head roaches.