Escape Proof Enclosures

dactylus

Good morning,

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive, escape proof (as it can be), small to medium sized clear container, with a latched or sliding door, strategically located, to provide easy access for feeding and maintenance of the occupants of the enclosure.  Ideally I would like something similar to the case pictured in the link below that isn't cost prohibitive.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cal-mil-3611-arched-sliding-door-vintage-bakery-display-case-with-wood-base-36-x-19-1-2-x-17-1-4/2113611.html?utm_source=facebook-pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=rc

I already have one billion Sterilite and Rubbermaid containers from decades of working with spiders, snakes, geckos, roaches, scorpions, amblypygids, etc...  If I could come up with a secure modification of some of my existing containers that would allow for a sliding or latched door into the container, with minimal danger of allowing the occupants to escape while I'm servicing the enclosure, then that is the route that I want to take. 

In addition to the clear door on the side of the enclosure I want to have total visibility of the area surrounding that door and the ability to close that door quickly if need be.   

Suggestions?

David

LLL Reptile has lots of different cages avalable, I use gasket containers for hissers, I get them from target 

17 hours ago, Redmont said:

LLL Reptile has lots of different cages avalable, I use gasket containers for hissers, I get them from target 

^

The cages that I'm envisioning would contain fast moving species that can climb or fly!!  Emphasis on fast moving.  Especially Panchlora species, Anallacta methanoides, Blattidae sp. “African Bullet”, etc...  These are species that I would like to try keeping but that I haven't kept due to concerns over them escaping. 

As I said in my original post I would like to "...come up with a secure modification of some of my existing containers that would allow for a sliding or latched door into the container, with minimal danger of allowing the occupants to escape while I'm servicing the enclosure, then that is the route that I want to take.   In addition to the clear door on the side of the enclosure I want to have total visibility of the area surrounding that door and the ability to close that door quickly if need be."

Thanks

There’s no need to modify enclosures, many people keep those species in standard cages, just use vaseline or Teflon tape to contain them, I don’t use any roach barrier because I don’t like the hassle  

21 hours ago, Redmont said:

There’s no need to modify enclosures, many people keep those species in standard cages, just use vaseline or Teflon tape to contain them, I don’t use any roach barrier because I don’t like the hassle  

Thanks for your input.  I abhor the use of Vaseline.  Been there, done that, and I won't do it again.

How do you attach Teflon tape to your enclosures?  Thanks.

I don’t use anything for mine, I just feed them quickly and catch any escapes. I may use Teflon tape in the future you just stick it to the side of the cage, there is a product called bug off I beleave that bioquip sells that goes on wet and drys powdery I may use that to.

Hi, I can't recommend a solution to your vivarium query, but I use silicone oil that you can buy for anything from cooking to running machine lubricant. This is all but invisible, and as long as it is reapplied regularly contains my P.nivea and my Schultesia lampyridiformes and Phoetalia pallida colonies, both of the latter I used to refer to as "Viv hoppers" due to the small size of the nymphs. All now contained successfully. 

Regards from Bill. :D

• Like 1

It was a pain to do, but I have had an Exo-Terra cage that fits your description for the last 7ish years. It took siliconing the top shut and a few other small cracks, but it's been escape-proof for some time now. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Psydeus565 said:

It was a pain to do, but I have had an Exo-Terra cage that fits your description for the last 7ish years. It took siliconing the top shut and a few other small cracks, but it's been escape-proof for some time now. Here's an old picture:

P7040011.jpg

Hello - The photo that you sent is not visible.  Could you e-mail the photo to me?  I sent you a PM.  Thank you!

David

I have my Panchlora nivea in a standard twenty gallon long with a basic slider lid. I have to say I really like the setup for them because of the rim that is around the cage on three sides when you slide out the lid. Whenever they run up the walls while I am working in the cage they always stop in the rim making it easy just to brush them out at my leisure versus them running up, over, and out a standard wall. I did have to modify it some by adding some clear masking tape around the edges of the lid to thicken it so it had a more snug, escape proof fit. Originally I was worried sliding the lid off might be a pain if they were hanging to it, but it actually ended up being nice in that regard too because of the tight fit as long as I go slow those up top will drop as I slide it off and they hit the outer wall. Another thing I tend to do is 10-30 minutes before I want to go in the tank is turn on a very bright desk light and shine it in the tank. Most of them will leave the lid/sides for darker areas and most tend to go inactive.