If you had a 40 gallon long for inverts....

So if you had a 40 gallon long and wanted an invert for display, what would you pick. I’m going to be doing some tank shuffling soon and this is what I’m thinking about. It will be in my living room so it needs to be active, not shy of lights or activity and be able to live in a naturalistic set up.

I would recommend grasshoppers or katydids, both are active in light and (at least the grasshoppers) even bask! They do frequently tend to dirty up the walls of the tank with frass though, so that's the one downside.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

I would recommend grasshoppers or katydids, both are active in light and (at least the grasshoppers) even bask! They do frequently tend to dirty up the walls of the tank with frass though, so that's the one downside.

I would also pick some sort of Orthopteran, though I prefer carnivores, like Neobarrettia sp. for example. :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

I would also pick some sort of Orthopteran, though I prefer carnivores, like Neobarrettia sp. for example. :)

Those are very eye-catching, but once one's been exposed to the sheer awesomeness of (primarily) herbivores like Romalea microptera, Brachystola magna, Stilpnochlora couloniana, and Poecilotettix pantherinus in person, there is no turning back. ;) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Those are very eye-catching, but once one's been exposed to the sheer awesomeness of (primarily) herbivores like Romalea microptera, Brachystola magna, Stilpnochlora couloniana, and Poecilotettix pantherinus in person, there is no turning back. ;) 

There is if you don't have the time or interest in providing them with proper host plants! :P

1 minute ago, Hisserdude said:

There is if you don't have the time or interest in providing them with proper host plants! :P

No specific host plants needed for any of those. :) 

1 minute ago, All About Insects said:

No specific host plants needed for any of those. :) 

Like, will they eat just lettuce? 

3 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Like, will they eat just lettuce? 

YES! As well as some of the other cheap leafy greens and many houseplants and "juicy weeds" as I'm told. :) Their polyphagous nature was one of the main things that got me so pumped for attempting to breed some!

• Like 1

Just now, All About Insects said:

YES! As well as some of the other cheap leafy greens, as well as many houseplants and "juicy weeds" as I'm told. :) 

Huh, that's good to know, not AS time consuming and needy as I thought then! :)

Just now, Hisserdude said:

Huh, that's good to know, not AS time consuming and needy as I thought then! :)

Yea, you still have to make the hoppers lay in special egg cups and then give them a diapause and stuff, but it is definitely worth it in the end! :D 

Just now, Matttoadman said:

Wow these fantastically awesome. Although I’m sure they are fantastically noisey

I don't actually think the species of grasshopper I listed make any sort of sound at adulthood, although the Giant Katydids, Stilpnochlora couloniana, do supposedly make a faint mating call on occasion. 

4 minutes ago, All About Insects said:

Yea, you still have to make the hoppers lay in special egg cups and then give them a diapause and stuff, but it is definitely worth it in the end! :D 

Ah, yeah that kinda sucks lol, but I'm sure it's worth it in the long run! :) At least, if you are passionate about them that is!

Just now, Hisserdude said:

At least, if you are passionate about them that is!

Passion is everything, some is even needed to keep the easiest roach species alive. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, All About Insects said:

Passion is everything, some is even needed to keep the easiest roach species alive. ;) 

True dat man! :)

• Like 1

I have a 40 gallon tank that I’m going to split with a plexiglass  divider, and put AGB,s in one side and Giant blue Philippine millipedes on the other side, when I get a larger set up for my buisness I’m going to get a few 40 gallon tanks and split them 2 or 3 times with dividers to hold my millipedes, expensive I know. But it would be awesome:D

3 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

Where would you find these hoppers and katydids?

Pretty much only Kyle, unless you could find a collector. 

If you're able to get ahold of him, he should have a bunch of different orthopterans hatching in a couple months. :) 

4 hours ago, All About Insects said:

Pretty much only Kyle, unless you could find a collector. 

If you're able to get ahold of him, he should have a bunch of different orthopterans hatching in a couple months. :) 

If I contact Kyle, He will go into hiding again. Every time I tried to contact him he would vanish for months on end. Not worth my time.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, All About Insects said:

Have you personally kept any of the 4 species that you mentioned above?  I'm considering setting up a display tank for a large lubber species in 2018...

5 hours ago, dactylus said:

Have you personally kept any of the 4 species that you mentioned above?  I'm considering setting up a display tank for a large lubber species in 2018...

Yep, I currently have a starter group of R.microptera "Yellow"; the others I'll definitely be getting in the future as well. :) 

If you put in the little bit of effort for incubating the eggs, that could be a dazzling setup for years and years! :D