Lanxoblatta rudis (Rough Bark Roach)

Hisserdude

17 hours ago, Chimera said:

Hooooooly smokes, my jaw literally dropped when I saw those nymphs. They look so... prehistoric, in a way. Such beautiful markings, so different than any other roach I've seen in the hobby! Please please let me know if you get nymphs!

EDIT: I apologize if this already got addressed somewhere in the thread and I didn't see it, but how big do they get?

Yeah, they are one of the coolest roaches in the hobby IMO, very unique! :D Hopefully I'll be successful in breeding them, I might have some available late next year, but I think @wizentrop will probably have some available sooner. ;)

Males are a little over an inch in length, with females being just a little bit larger than them. 

44 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Yeah, they are one of the coolest roaches in the hobby IMO, very unique! :D Hopefully I'll be successful in breeding them, I might have some available late next year, but I think @wizentrop will probably have some available sooner. ;)

Males are a little over an inch in length, with females being just a little bit larger than them. 

Ooh, I'm partial to larger roaches, but those are certainly little beauties!

2 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Ooh, I'm partial to larger roaches, but those are certainly little beauties!

Yeah, they aren't that large, but they make up for in by being so cool looking IMO! :D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vfox said:

Holy cow, those are awesome. Paint me jealous. Lol

One of my new favorites for sure! :D Hopefully they'll become more common in the hobby soon, they certainly seem to be pretty hardy!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

One of my new favorites for sure! :D Hopefully they'll become more common in the hobby soon, they certainly seem to be pretty hardy!

I stepped my numbers back for a few years because of work and life but now things are nice and calm and I'm ramping back up. These will be a "must have" once they are more common/reasonably priced for a rare species. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, vfox said:

I stepped my numbers back for a few years because of work and life but now things are nice and calm and I'm ramping back up. These will be a "must have" once they are more common/reasonably priced for a rare species. 

Glad you are able to get more roaches now, these are definitely a species every cockroach enthusiast should have! :)

• 2 weeks later...

How much do they eat? 
And how activity do they display? 

My Schizopilia fissicollis roaches eat only small amounts of fish food and fruit. At least some individuals have done so, but not all. They mainly seem to nibble on the bark pieces. At the other hand, they don't move around much, so I guess that they are quite good at energy conservation. I guess I'm watching over them like a mother hen :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stanislas said:

How much do they eat? 
And how activity do they display? 

My Schizopilia fissicollis roaches eat only small amounts of fish food and fruit. At least some individuals have done so, but not all. They mainly seem to nibble on the bark pieces. At the other hand, they don't move around much, so I guess that they are quite good at energy conservation. I guess I'm watching over them like a mother hen :) 

They always seem to take a decent sized chuck out of the apple pieces I offer them, they don't have huge appetites, but you can definitely tell they've been eating. 

They are very secretive, and as soon as I open the enclosure to check on them they hunker down onto the bark and remain motionless, so I have no idea how active they really are.

I remember them being really active and wandering around the cage when I first got them, but that was because they didn't have any bark hides they liked, and were stressed out looking for somewhere to rest. Luckily I picked up on that within a couple days and gave them some properly smooth bark pieces.

• Like 1

I noticed them eating from a piece of mandarin orange... They seem to do fine after all. I always have this feeling of uncertainty when I get a new species. It takes some time to know for sure that I'm on the right track and that I'm providing optimal conditions for them. 
As they are in a glass cage, I can observe them pretty well. I've made picture of their enclosure. At night it's red lightning, in the morning it switches to white and steadily increases light intensity during the day until noon.... A kind of natural light cycle, albeit with red nights. 

IMG_1900s.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stanislas said:

I noticed them eating from a piece of mandarin orange... They seem to do fine after all. I always have this feeling of uncertainty when I get a new species. It takes some time to know for sure that I'm on the right track and that I'm providing optimal conditions for them. 
As they are in a glass cage, I can observe them pretty well. I've made picture of their enclosure. At night it's red lightning, in the morning it switches to white and steadily increases light intensity during the day until noon.... A kind of natural light cycle, albeit with red nights.

Nice, glad they are eating! I feel the same way with every new species I get, and it usually takes me a little while to hone in on the optimal husbandry needs for each one. For example, I just learned from one breeder that I've been keeping my Paranauphoeta discoidalis a little too humid, and I've had them for like a year now! :lol:

Neat setup, looks very nice! Maybe could use a few more pieces of bark IMO, especially once they start breeding, but other than that it looks awesome! :D

• Like 1

I remember when I had room for nice setups like that, lol. With 3 kids my critters are now in the laundry room... So plastic bins and little room for massive colonies. But I'll be happy to add another shelf or so in there for now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, I got some babies, turns out the female just needed some extra heat to finish gestating! :)

LanxoblattaBabies%25231.JPG

LanxoblattaBabies%25232.JPG

LanxoblattaBabies%25234.JPG

Aren't they just adorable!?! :D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Test Account said:

I particularly like this specific image. The contrast between the enormous adult, new young, and springtails makes it such a balanced and elegant photograph.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it! :D Personally, I wish it was just a little clearer, and less saturated. Was gonna delete it while editing, but decided to keep it because I liked showing the mother and the babies in one picture. :)

Lovely! Thanks for sharing these photographs! 
What temperature do you keep them? And how to you heat the enclosure? 
Any idea how long gestation time took? 
I'm hoping to see this happen here this year with my Schizopilia roaches :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stanislas said:

Lovely! Thanks for sharing these photographs! 
What temperature do you keep them? And how to you heat the enclosure? 
Any idea how long gestation time took? 
I'm hoping to see this happen here this year with my Schizopilia roaches :)

Thanks! :)

I was keeping them at about 70-72 F° before, which was apparently was too cool for reproduction. I put them next to my heat cable a few days ago, which raised the temperature to about 75-80 F°? (I don't have a thermostat in any of my enclosures, so I'm just guessing here). This seemed to trigger the female to give birth. 

Gestation took around 4 months, would probably have been a few weeks shorter had I kept them warmer earlier on though. 

Really hope you are successful in breeding those Schizopilia, they are an amazing species! :)

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

I don't have a thermostat in any of my enclosures, so I'm just guessing here)

Temp guns are pretty cheap if you ever want to get exact temps on any of your enclosures. :)

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 7:34 PM, Hisserdude said:

Glad you are able to get more roaches now, these are definitely a species every cockroach enthusiast should have! :)

So are Periplaneta, but I don't see you keeping them. :P

Congratulations on the babies.

• Like 1