Sign in to follow this  
Matttoadman

Millipedes and fungus gnats

So I have read that fungus gnats are not uncommon with millipedes but man I’m killing a dozen wat day. Any suggestions? I have them (bumblebees) in a 2.5 gallon, several inches of coco fiber, dead oak leaves, decaying maple wood chunks, and a bit of sand. 

You get a lot of fungus gnats when dealing with rotten wood. My advice, put up those sticky fly traps around your enclosures, will help a bit I think.

I’m actully going to experiment this spring with some sort of tiny predator. A jumping spider for example. Idea. They wouldn’t bother the millipedes and the humidity should be too much of an issue. Plus if they got out, I find them in my house all the time anyway. I guess you could also set a mantid nymph mesh enclosure on the top? I mean why waste a perfectly good feeder?

I've heard mosquito dunks work for fungus gnat filled containers actually, the bacteria only harm Dipterans, and won't harm any of the other inhabits. Might be worth a try in your millipede tank! :)

Nah a tiny predator would be cooler lol

Fungus gnats are mostly harmless, and given their tendency for population explosions a small predator may be ineffective.

I almost never get any problems with "pests" when dealing with tenebrionids and small garden carabids. They are pretty dry-resistant, so any mites or gnats simply can't live in their cage.

Suggestion:

1. ignore them, unless they are seriously depleting the millipede food

2. Dunk your millipede in a damp temporary cage with some non-leaf snacks, and let the main cage dry out

After drying out for a while, remoisten it and make the ventilation areas gnatproof

The little dipterans do look tastily useful, though.

So I went to remove my lid on my millipedes and found this little thing already taking up residence. I don’t even have to wait til spring lol p. I’m guessing it’s a hitchhiker in my oak leaf bucket.

D384412A-E650-407E-9889-1A608402869E.jpeg

• Like 1

Can say this with my experience, controlling fungus gnats requires a lot of patience. We tried to get rid of these pests by keeping our place less humid and bringing in some predatory mites. This helped us a lot. But after few months we again faced this problem and this time we decided to consult the pest control in Sacramento professionals to know which chemical spray can be used to kill these houseplant insects. They suggested to use biological insecticide and repeat the application every five days until the gnats are eradicated.