Shefordella lateralis smell?

So I received over 50 redrunners, if not 100. I had ordered 25, so had a plastic shoebox ready for them. 5 days later the sharp, wangy smell is pretty rough. Is this just overcrowding? Food? Plastic container? 

What sort of substrate do you use? They typically have a pretty good odor but substrate will help keep it down. Semi dry, very light moisture cocofiber is what I used for them and I worked fairly well, only noticed the odor when I got really into the container. 

I use coco fiber. I have a sheet of oak bark on top of that with a bunch of dead oak leaves. It may just be too shallow of substrate too. I am for upgrading them to a larger bin with more ventilation. 

2 minutes ago, Matttoadman said:

I use coco fiber. I have a sheet of oak bark on top of that with a bunch of dead oak leaves. It may just be too shallow of substrate too. I am for upgrading them to a larger bin with more ventilation. 

That may help, mine had a screened lid with some tape to close a little over half of the openings, it was very well ventilated. Like I said though, they will always be a little smelly but a high in fruit diet over high protein will also help a little. 

• Like 1