American cockroaches as predators?

A few days ago, I found my Americans devouring a cricket. I wondered if they had caught it but I have never seen Marcus nor Layla attacking another insect before. The next day I caught Marcus in the act of killing a much larger cricket. Layla joined in and then tugged it away from him. Marcus left her alone to eat her prey. Really, is this normal? Have I provided enough meat in their diets? 

This species has been known to attack and feed on other roaches/soft bodied insects from time to time, and they are very well known for cannibalising oothecae. They are just really protein hungry. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is fascinating. I've seen my B. giganteus eat live (but dying) dubia, but I assumed they were just incredibly hungry and/or excited for the meat. I don't think they're hunters, but it's an intriguing idea. With the breadth of species, I wouldn't doubt that some have evolved to take advantage of hunting to survive. I'd love to hear more about this. Any chance you could catch the hunting on video?

That is pretty mind blowing, at least for me. I have a whole new world to explore. 

I wonder if they need to be at a certain hunger level to catch live prey or if they're opportunistic and will grab any extra they can even when they have a steady food supply. 

I'm going to do a few experiments with my B giganteus. That's my only real meat eating species at the moment, but man do they go nuts for fresh cooked hamburger and canned cat food. 

Thanks for sharing the videos. 

I fed banana roaches to my orange heads once. It was very interesting. The attack does seem to be very predatory in nature. They do actually pounce and chase a little. Any banana roaches escape the initial attack seem to be "safe." I think after a point they smell like other orange head roaches. 

• Like 1