Clara

Question about Simandoa Conserfariam anatomy

Hello everybody !

I'm an illustrator and I'm currently working on a book about insects (kind of a pop-up book for children in which you can lift the wings of an insect to see underneath for example). I would like to feature in this book the beautiful Simandoa Conserfariam, but unfortunately, I cannot find a picture with a view under the elytras of the full abdomen and the wings (I read that the simandoa have fully developed wings). I contacted shops and even a Natural History Museum, but in vain ! (the museum didn't have a specimen)

So I was wondering if one of you guys had some informations on that subject !

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum :)

Thank you !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Don't worry,  it's definitely the correct forum section

I specialize in eating research papers for lunch; here's what I found 

"Abdominal tergites black with broad yellow anterior borders"

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1665/1082-6467(2004)013[0057:ANGASO]2.0.CO%3B2#/doi/abs/10.1665/1082-6467(2004)013[0057:ANGASO]2.0.CO%3B2

In other words, the entire dorsal surface of the roach's abdomen is striped w black and yellow,  including the parts hidden by wings

Good luck with your book! I'm glad that non-pest roach species are starting to appear in popular sci literature 

• Like 1

Thanks for using your good skills ! It's very helpful !

Do you think that the hindwings are similar to the hindwings of other cave roaches ? (now that I think of it, I was wrong in my first post using the term "elytras" instead of "forewings"..)

The book is made to show beautiful and fun insects to shed a new light on them ! I hope it will be distributed in the USA, that would be very cool :)(so far it will just be in western Europe, and maybe Japan)

• Thanks 1

"Hind wing with very dark anterior field, posterior field distinctly lighter."

There is a picture of the hindwing in the article. The front half of the hindwing is more leathery than the back half, which is probably why the colors differ between them

• Thanks 1

Oh I didn't see the pictures, I was too focused on the text description (which left me quite confused to be honest, as I am not a insect wings expert :) ) !

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer again, it was incredibly helpful and it gives me the perfect material to work !

All the best !

• Thanks 1