PuppyMintMocha

Unwanted Halloween Hisser Babies...

Hey all! Back in March, I got myself 5 halloween hisser nymphs. The guy I got them from tried to pick out only males for me, because I want them as pets only and am not currently interested in having a whole breeding colony. Now that they are adults and easier to sex, I have realized that one of them is female and I caught her mating with one of the others a couple weeks ago, so I'm guessing I should be expecting babies in late July/early August? Their enclosure isn't big enough to handle 30+ adults, and I don't really want to upgrade and have a breeding colony, so I should probably figure something out. Should I give the female by herself to someone else before the babies come, or try to handle all the babies in a separate enclosure and then sell them with the female? Do babies have to be a certain age before they can ship well? I've also never shipped anything living before, so I'm a little nervous to, but I don't know anyone local that would take her.

PS: I know killing her would also solve the problem, but I'm rather attached to my hissers... I really don't want to get rid of her either but if she's just going to keep popping out unwanted babies, then I feel it's the best option for me at the moment....

How large is the enclosure you have them in? You can fit a surprising number of roaches in limited space. Otherwise you could seperate the female and sell the nymphs off once they have molted once or twice.

12 hours ago, Bmaines96 said:

How large is the enclosure you have them in? You can fit a surprising number of roaches in limited space. Otherwise you could seperate the female and sell the nymphs off once they have molted once or twice.

10x6x8 inch

If you can't find anybody to give them away to, then putting them into a jar and into the freezer for a few hours is another option.

Just to update this,  I decided to wait and see if she has babies, and grow them out a little bit before finding other homes for all the nymphs and the female

If you need to rehome, send me a msg. I'll happily add them to my colony! I can even send some males if you want.