Cleaning enclosures

Depends a little bit on the species, but mostly cleaning is something that is done for the keeper (by the keeper). The roaches can live for years in tanks that are not cleaned, but their keepers generally like things to look a bit tidier. And so, in a way, only you have the answers to your own questions and they will come through your own experience in keeping roaches. ;)

You can use cleaner crews to help keep the substrate free of mold, fungus, mites, gnats and odors. I use A. diaperinus in dry substrate and Collembola in damp substrate. I also use Blaberidae "Kenya" with larger "moist" species like A. insignis and B. giganteus. Aside from that, I just hand pick any food remnants, exuviae and dead roaches — maybe stir up the substrate every once in awhile. As long it remains odor-free I typically don't do much cleaning... I do however spend a lot of time fussing and maintaining the aesthetics of my natural enclosures... lots of moving bark, swapping out branches, mixing in new leaves ... you know, the fun stuff. ?

I appreciate the replies!

I was mostly wondering if you change the substrate every so often to get rid of the frass buildup, or do cleaning crews eat the frass? As far as I was concerned, no cleaner crew eats the roaches' poop but correct me if I'm wrong haha

Little Kenyans eat some poop. I don't notice the frass build up with most species. I did replace my B. lateralis substrate recently after 2 years as it was no longer really substrate but more empty ooths and fine particles. I did a change on my dubia once as well. None of my other species have needed it yet, though I do add new substrate to the top if I notice it turning into finer particles. I think (not certain) the fine particles are the result of A. diaperinus breaking down food, dead roaches and poop.