Female Lateralis that can climb smooth plastic

new2runners

In my colony, the turks cannot climb smooth plastic at all, not even climb out of a level 8 ounce deli cup but on two occasions after sorting roaches I've seen both times a large female be able to run very fast on smooth plastic. Has anyone else ever seen this? I thought they weren't supposed to be able to run on smooth surface maybe because she built up speed on the egg crates first or do the adult females have some special spiderman ability? Ive seen people say they dont use a lid "because they cannot climb anyway!" Fortunately I am using a gasket box and I dont feed any females anyway cuz I want them to lay for eggs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Much to my horror, one of the places I bought red runners from apparently was infested with a larger climbing species. They got larger than the red runners so I have killed all the ones I could see. I am hoping they didn't breed in my red runner colony as there were only a few but I guess time will tell. Not very happy at all and hoping my house doesn't end up infested.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

If the smooth plastic is shiny most likely they can not climb, but if it is not shiny then it is a bit pores and they may be able to climb.