Phortioeca phoraspoides & Elliptorhina chopardi living together :-)

Hello there friends! ?

I use to mix different species (...that apparently could live together —similar environmental necessities, non-aggressive behaviour & the most important, no possibilities of hybridisation

This time was Phortioeca phoraspoides & Elliptorhina chopardi... and well, they couldn't be doing better. Actually, I would say that the group of P.phoraspoides living with E.chopardi are doing better than the group with their own cage. Which made me understand finally the better way to keep these very hardy flat-roache's species ? 

...keep them dry, ventilated but with a good source of juicy veggies.

That was a surprise... because they have some moisture around in their habitat. But wouldn't be the first time that one of my species do better in captivity when kept a little dryer than in their habitat.

Cheers! ? 

Xenoblatta_0008_Firma copia 7

Xenoblatta_0009_Firma copia 8

Xenoblatta_0007_Firma copia 6

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 1:16 PM, Arthroverts said:

Do you ever keep more than two species together?

Hello @Arthroverts ? Thanks for your comment! 

Actually yes ? I keep in several cages a third species.... usually as a cleaning crew, mostly isopods... But as well I keep in a big cage Blaptica dubia + Blaberus discoidalis + Zophobas morio (I usually see B.discoidalis & Z.morio living together in the wild).

But if you mean more than two species of cockroaches together, for sure I did it before... but not in this moment :-) If I do it I will post pics ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Test Account said:

Wow, wild morio!

Well @Test Account... To be honest I'm not sure if is Z.morio Haha (they looks and breed the same)...

For sure Zophobas gen. ?  I have to post pics in the beetle section, so you can give me your opinion... as well I have to make some pictures of them in the wild living with B.discoidalis (Or B.parabolicus? Hahaha... I'm a mess ? I have to really identify them, at the moment they are labelled as cf. morio and cf. discoidalis), wich is pretty cool! 

I have noticed that the larger the population the better roaches seem to do. I’m wondering if this is what you are seeing in this situation? Sort of have a “foster” colony giving them a jump start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matttoadman said:

I have noticed that the larger the population the better roaches seem to do.

Very good point... I have noticed the same in some cases. 
At least in large populations of B.dubia and N.cinerea I've seen is because they may increase the temperature of the colony just because their own activity... which may give them an additional impulse.  ? 

On 8/7/2018 at 2:57 PM, Bugboy3092 said:

I’m surprised the elliptorhina males allow them to live in close proximity. Do you know anyone who has phortioeca for sale in the us? 

1 hour ago, Betta132 said:

Ooh, seconded, I've never seen Phortioeca phoraspoides before now but I definitely want some. I love the difference between the nymphs and the adults!

Wizentrop sells Lanxoblatta rudis, a close relative.

I doubt Phortioeca is entering the US anytime soon; I have not heard any reports of it in Europe either (Europeans have at least one other close relative of it in captivity though)