snellos

How often do you feed?

I would ideally feed 2-3 times a week, but I have only been able to feed once a week lately.

I have 3 large roach colonies (one spread across 3 boxes), which I feed dry food (mostly porridge oats, sometimes dry cat food) every couple of days, and fruit/veg once a week.

I used to feed them fruit and veg more often but with the number of insects I now have (stick insects as well as roaches) and working full time as well, I simply don't have the time to feed them all as often as I used to! ?

I am actively trying to reduce the numbers of my roaches (giving them away/selling them in bulk to dealers) and when the numbers are a bit more reasonable I hope I won't feel so bad about only feeding them fruit and veg once a week!

I do all maintenance once a week, feed, water, give fruits and veggies, hasn't slowed down a single one of my colonies. Most food is gone in a day or two, as long as they have access to some sort of moisture they are fine and in the wild they are t gonna be eating a lot of protein or even a lot of fruit for that matter every single day.

I also have a once a week schedule for roach feeding, misting and cleanup. I just make sure they have plenty of decomposing leaves and water crystals to last after the fresh stuff is gone. I do have a few species that I mist everyday or every other day. I've tried to time that with my arachnid feeding schedules so as not to get overwhelmed with hours of daily care. It's sometimes a balancing act though!

Now that my invertebrate collection includes about 60 species I'm starting to have to manage my care schedule like a part time job... A crazy fun part time job, but still a job. If any of the more experienced keepers have any tips, I'm all ears. 

I feed my 20 roach colonies about 2-3 times / week. It includes misting, replacing fruit/carrots, adding some water to corners if needed etc.  
Some I take a daily look at and do maintenance when needed (Pseudoglomeris magnifica and Schizopilia fissicollis for example due to their high investment costs and being hard to get). 
Others I tend to be more careless about, as they can deal better with scarcity, like the Polyphaga species I keep. 

5 hours ago, Axolotl said:

Now that my invertebrate collection includes about 60 species I'm starting to have to manage my care schedule like a part time job... A crazy fun part time job, but still a job. If any of the more experienced keepers have any tips, I'm all ears. 

I know exactly how you feel!

Having started with just three individual hissers two years ago I now have 11 stick insect species, 3 large colonies of three different hisser species, 8 millipedes (all the same species) and some blue death-feigning beetles, and their maintenance is getting pretty time consuming alongside a full time job ?, so I'd be interested in everyone's tips too.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:22 PM, BlattaAnglicana said:

I know exactly how you feel!

Having started with just three individual hissers two years ago I now have 11 stick insect species, 3 large colonies of three different hisser species, 8 millipedes (all the same species) and some blue death-feigning beetles, and their maintenance is getting pretty time consuming alongside a full time job ?, so I'd be interested in everyone's tips too.

Of course it sounds insanely simple and why didn't I think of it sooner, but I'm going to start a detailed schedule with checklists and spread the work out across the week. That way I can power through quickly without a lot of thinking when needed. I hate to turn my hobby into a chore, but it might help me feel not so overwhelmed and ensure I don't overlook any care needs - especially now that I'm adding pricier and more demanding species. 

I've also seen a lot of tarantula keepers print out little care sheet cheat sheets and tape them to the enclosures. Another why didn't I think of that...