BlattaAnglicana

Blue death-feigning beetles - max humidity?

HI all, I just bought 4 blue death-feigning beetles (very rare to buy in the UK!) at an insect show last weekend, and was wondering what the maximum humidity is that these can tolerate. The UK is quite a damp country 😉 and my home is also quite humid in general (I have to run a dehumidifier to get it to "normal" values and even that can struggle to get the humidity below 60%) and I am a bit concerned that this might be too high for the beetles, seeing as they are desert creatures. 

Does anyone have any experience of these, and if that sort of humidity is too high do you have any tips on getting it down? I already have a small heat pad under part of their cage (a small faunarium with dry sand, dry moss and some dry shreds of cardboard which look quite "natural") but is there anything else I can do to get the humidity down if I need to?

FWIW I am feeding them goldfish pellets (which are apparently mostly insect protein), oat flakes, and small pieces of carrot, apple and pear for moisture, and I have seen them all eating since I got them last Saturday. I have read that they don't need any other water at all than that.

Any other tips would be welcome!

OK - quick update, with a small heat pad on the bottom of part of the enclosure and a small PC fan to circulate air the humidity seems to be coming down to a steady 40-50%, so I hope this will be low enough for them.

I've read they don't need misting and they are getting "wet" food (banana, carrot, apple etc.) but that dries out really quickly - within a day - in this sort of dry atmosphere, so should I be giving them water crystals or a small water dish as well in case they need to drink?

From my experience they like the high humidity, in fact, I have only found them once in the wild, and that was after it had just rained. I have not found them in any place where it is dry, and the larva appear to enjoy high humidity as well. Take that with a grain of salt however, for from what I have heard, they also require a mostly dry substrate (for the adults). I am not really sure, but as long as they have periods of dryness, I think they should be fine. 

Can some more experienced beetle keepers weigh in on this?

Thanks,

Arthroverts