Hisser Help? (Possibly Elliptorhina davidi)

Help with ID? I’m still fairly new to this hobby, and the other day, I was reading up on hisser breeds. I found that my female looks almost nothing like my male, except for the fact that she is definitely a hisser.

Could she be the coveted bumpy hisser or am I just getting my hopes up? She is textured as I hope you can see. I bought her at a pet shop as a MHC. My male is definitely a MHC, he fits the bill. He is pretty docile and likes being handled, while she can be somewhat fussy and picky about food but I believe this may just be personality type  

A Picture of the roaches

So, thoughts? Could she be a bumpy hisser? I don’t care either way, I love her no matter what, I’m just really, really curious. 

Unfortunately she is a Gromphadorhina hybrid; they can vary much in color from individual to individual. The male features much more of the classic MHC coloration, but he is still almost surely a hybrid as well since he wasn't gotten from one of the couple select sources for pure G.portentosa such as Kyle Kandilian of Roachcrossing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, All About Arthropods said:

Unfortunately she is a Gromphadorhina hybrid; they can vary much in color from individual to individual. The male features much more of the classic MHC coloration, but he is still almost surely a hybrid as well since he wasn't gotten from one of the couple select sources for pure G.portentosa such as Kyle Kandilian of Roachcrossing.

Interesting, thank you! I don’t mind at all that she’s a hybrid, as I won’t be selling her offspring, but I suspected she wasn’t a bumpy hisser because she’s been breeding. As I said, still pretty new to roaches and bugs... 😅

Just begs the question for me of what she’s mixed with. 

8 minutes ago, kawaiiroaches said:

Interesting, thank you! I don’t mind at all that she’s a hybrid, as I won’t be selling her offspring, but I suspected she wasn’t a bumpy hisser because she’s been breeding. As I said, still pretty new to roaches and bugs... 😅

Just begs the question for me of what she’s mixed with. 

No prob! 

I would say she's pretty much certainly mixed with G.oblongonota as they're the second most common hisser species in the hobby and she does show similar dark red coloration.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, All About Arthropods said:

No prob! 

I would say she's pretty much certainly mixed with G.oblongonota as they're the second most common hisser species in the hobby and she does show similar dark red coloration.

Honestly, what a huge help. I’ve tried to educate myself as much as I can on hissers, but I suppose I’ll always have something to learn. 

I have to say, she’s one of the most beautiful roaches I’ve ever owned, that picture really doesn’t do her justice. She also has very prominent horns for a female. 

Now I’m very curious to see what types of colors their nymphs will develop, as I’m now trying to nurture a larger colony. If some will favor her more than him. This brood was about 40, so we’ll see what color variations happens. 

4 hours ago, kawaiiroaches said:

Honestly, what a huge help. I’ve tried to educate myself as much as I can on hissers, but I suppose I’ll always have something to learn. 

I have to say, she’s one of the most beautiful roaches I’ve ever owned, that picture really doesn’t do her justice. She also has very prominent horns for a female. 

Now I’m very curious to see what types of colors their nymphs will develop, as I’m now trying to nurture a larger colony. If some will favor her more than him. This brood was about 40, so we’ll see what color variations happens. 

Surely no one will ever known every miniscule shard of information about any roach (or organism in general), but as far as things that the hobby concerns, you'll definitely get there.

If there's one neat thing about hybrids, it is the color variation; I bet you'll see some beautiful looks thrown around. :)