Urgent problem with my hisser

Guest Need some help

Guest Need some help

Hello dudes.

I know I shouldn't post this content here, but I'm desperate and I can't wait to have my account verified. I'm having some problems with my hisser colony. Since October I've found a lot of nymphs of madagascar hissing cockroach on their backs, almost dead. I've let them in the terrarium and, on the next day, they were dead. I just don't know what's going on.
Obs.: my hissers live in a plastic box with organic soil as substrate. I put a paper with water and feed them with fruits (banana, apple, orange etc), fish food and dog food.
Obs2.: I live in Brazil and on the last weeks we're witnessing high temperatures here.
Obs3.: so sorry for posting this here, I'm very very very desperate because I love these roaches.

Here is the pic of how I found my hissers

20181221_014849.jpg

How much ventilation are you providing them with? High temperatures and low ventilation could lead to a high die off, especially in hissers, which appreciate good airflow and somewhat low humidity. 

19 hours ago, Guest Need some help said:

There are 18 small holes on the cover of the box. Do you think that I have to make more holes on the walls of the box? 

Yeah it sounds like you need a lot more ventilation holes, cross ventilation is more important than lid ventilation, so I'd definitely add a lot more holes to the sides of the enclosure, just make sure they are small enough so babies can't escape. :)

55 minutes ago, Guest Need some help said:

Oh, okay, I'll do that. Thanks for helping me, Hisserdude :)

No problem, happy to help! :) I'd also maybe switch from using potting soil as the substrate to coconut fiber, as it's possible the potting soil could have some harmful components in it, that's the only other reason I can think of as to why your roaches are dying.

• 2 years later...
Guest Hissing roach problem

PLEASE I NEED HELP MY HISSING ROACH HAS WHITE SPOTS LIKE THE ONE IN THE PICTURE BUT HE DRINKS WATER AND HAS FRESH FRUIT EVERYDAY I LEAVE HIM IN THE SHADE INDOORS WHY ARE HIS FEET WHITE

On 6/25/2021 at 5:53 PM, Guest Hissing roach problem said:

PLEASE I NEED HELP MY HISSING ROACH HAS WHITE SPOTS LIKE THE ONE IN THE PICTURE BUT HE DRINKS WATER AND HAS FRESH FRUIT EVERYDAY I LEAVE HIM IN THE SHADE INDOORS WHY ARE HIS FEET WHITE

Does he seem fine otherwise? The bottoms of the feet are always white.