Jimbobtom

Hisser death, turned white almost like mold?

I've seen this twice over the past several months, a mid sized hisser nymph dead. In between the stripes and on the bottom they turned white so it looked like a zebra.

Do you have a photo? I have seen live (and very healthy) hisser nymphs with the colouration you describe, which was because they were very close to moulting and had stretched their old skin as far as it would go and the white parts between the body plates were showing, so it would really take a photo to show whether yours had any more untoward symptoms.

• Thanks 1

That would make sense, but I double checked and it is definitiely dead. I got a picture, but it won't let me upload? It almost looks like mycelium. I noticed today there was some green mold on it too, but there was also mold on some fruit I left in the bin,  Not sure if the body is just molding at that point from being dead. The bin is very humid and moist with tons of springtails, green banana roaches, isopods, and surinams along with the hissers. I use this bin to feed out of for my chams. My main hisser colony is kept in much more dry conditions, though these ones seem to be thriving In the humid bin, they've been there for awhile, molting and growing. Have only seen this twice, but I wonder if it is humidity related?

A bit off topic here, but does anyone here have thoughts on feeding out of a colony that may have consumed moldy food? Often stuff grows mold pretty fast, and I remove it, or let the clean up crew take care of it. I usually still use them as feeders figuring in the wild they would probably be eating things that eat mold/decaying matter pretty regularly. Never noticed any issues, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts.