Mushrooms for Hissers?

kawaiiroaches

Howdy, roach forum! As my nymphs from my thread in “breeding and nymph issues” grow, I’ve been experimenting with their foods to see what they favor! 

The other night I made a pasta with some sliced baby bella mushrooms, so before bed, I dumped a leftover handful or so of raw mushroom bits in my feeding dish. I woke up this morning and they were all gone! I only found one small piece that has shriveled up slightly as mushrooms do. 

I know they’re roaches and can eat about anything but I got to wondering....

So are these mushrooms safe for my bugs? They seem to really enjoy it, more than their normal carrots, apples, celery, etc. but I don’t want them to get some type of disease or fungus from the mushrooms. Not entirely sure that could even happen, but well, that’s why I’m here! Can I continue letting them munch on mush? Or should I limit/not allow them to have it at all? 

I feed my hissers and Lucihormetica a range of grocery store mushrooms, but not as standard fare. Just be sure it's organic so they're pesticide free. I don't remove the excess as my hissers have a pretty reliable clean-up crew (Little Kenyans with A. diaperinus or T. tomentosa). I did once leave mushroom leftovers in with my glow spots for a bit too long and unexpectedly developed a thriving silver springtail culture, which was a very nice bonus.