Picky Eaters. Suggestions?

Nazareth

When I first got my dubia roaches I would feed them bread, rabbit food, and apples however I've noticed that after a while when the colony got bigger I would have to add even more variation of food just because half of the colony doesn't like to eat those foods, their food now consists of bread, banana, rabbit food, cheese, apple, orange, watermelon(in the summer), rarely fish flakes, rarely uncooked pork chops, lettuce and strawberry, The babies are easier since they really only eat lettuce, cheese and the meats. was wondering if anyone knows of a food that everyone will agree on. Also, any tips on preventing cannibalization? I had one fatality and I wish to not have to wake up with a partially eaten roach again.

I have never had Dubai Roches, but I know that they tend to want to avoid high protein and instead go for high sugar food elements. Apple, orange, watermelon lettuce and strawberry should be ideal food items for them. I don’t know if you are using organic foods, but if not, that may be a solution. Cockroaches are quite picky and if they can detect high amounts of pesticides on their food they will not be as egger to eat it.

No idea how to stop cannibalization sadly.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've noticed that my colony tends to get picky when I feed them too much. How often do you offer food? I always have chow and water crystals available, but only offer fruits/veggies every 7-10 days. Also, be careful with bread as it can lead to grain mite outbreaks and you definitely don't want that. If you're using them as feeders, stay away from meat and cheese as well.

As for cannibalism, they will eat their dead friends, no way around it. Males will also fight and cannibalize when there's too much competition. I just feed off most of the males to my assassins to keep things calm.  

• Thanks 1