Need help with Simandoa Conserfariam

I've had an adult male and female together now for many months and I've yet to see any babies.  I changed their substrate today and verified the lack of babies.  They get carrots, oranges, dried cat food, water crystals, and powered dubia food.  They have a heater.  I don't want to breed them to sell or anything,  I would just like to have some when my two adults die.  What am I doing wrong ?  

According to "For The Love Of Cockroaches", this is normal, males will sometimes die off before the females give birth, roughly four to five months after maturing. I'd offer a wider variety of fruits though, just in case, as Orin mentions that makes up like 90% of their diet in captivity, they like fruits way more than veggies, kibble, etc. I have a feeling they'll especially like apples, probably better for them since it's less acidic than citrus fruits... 

4 hours ago, aoikirin said:

Wow so they have a really long gestation?

Yup, pretty long gestation period, but after that first one they give birth more frequently, and to a LOT of nymphs! (About three dozen nymphs per litter). 

2 hours ago, Auz said:

oh wow this is good to know. I thought I had read a while back that Simandoas give relatively smaller littlers. but 30+ is a lot! Now I'm nervous about breeding mine once they mature haha

Well I think they sell pretty well, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem controlling their numbers, you could always keep them unheated for a while to slow down reproduction, or use them as occasional feeders... ;) 

• Haha 1