Cheap, reliable protein source other than dog/cat food

Jimbobtom

Going on a post spree today lol... anyway, was wondering if some ody could recommend a staple protein source for roach colonies that isn't dog/cat/fish/etc food. Some of my roaches get fed off to chameleons and I'd prefer they only eat vegan sources if possible. Maybe some sort of seeds or nuts that would be affordable+nutritious?

• Like 1

I just throw some hemp seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and shredded coconut in a coffee grinder. Granted that I always have those seeds on hand for my consumption (except coconut but it's pretty cheap). The roaches seem to like it and I haven't had any problem with roaches or mites infesting the colonies.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Wild Game Bird Feed...."starter" version as there is "conditioner" and "flock" and I think one other type. First ingredient on starter is "plant protein products" while conditioner notes "grain by products".....starter notes 28% protein and I assume its soybean based because soybeans are one of the highest plant based proteins out there. (although soybean isn't mentioned) The conditioner notes a 16% protein level but again doesn't specify a single source of that protein. For example, chick feed "hen scratch" which is noted at around 8% protein has listed in its ingredients corn and sorghum, (milo) which is basically common bird feed. I use the WGBF starter in my dry chow, (with other stuff) used to feed Orangeheads and Hissers.....it gets devoured. For dubia I use the conditioner again with other stuff....both chows incorporate alfalfa too.  (alfalfa is around 14% protein)

I use unmedicated chick feed, some brands do appear to be vegan, and it works just fine as a grain based protein source for my roaches! :)

I've been alternating alfalfa meal with my usual chow. Most everyone seems to like it. There are a few picky hold-outs, but all my feeders gobble it up. It's a little pricey right now on Amazon, but you can find it reasonably at garden centers. A little goes a long way, so it lasts quite awhile - Bonus: I've yet to have any get moldy or rotten, even in moist enclosures.