Betta132

Hawai'ian cockroach stowaway

This stowed away in my dad's suitcase, possibly inside a feral hog skull we found. It's about half an inch long and can climb smooth plastic, though I haven't tested it on glass. Any idea what it is? It's from Hawai'i, though I'm aware that there's a LOT of things in Hawai'i. I'm probably gonna chuck it in with my peppered roaches- they like about the same type of environment, I'd imagine.

image0.jpg?width=840&height=630

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

• Like 1

Nice, definitely a Blaberid of some sort, shame it's only the one... 

I guess I'll stick it in with my peppered roaches and hope I see it again once it matures. 

I was really tired when we got back, so when my dad handed me a bag this roach was crawling on and asked if it was one of mine, it took me a couple minutes to figure out that it wasn't! I couldn't for the life of me remember what the nymphs of mine looked like. It's definitely not mine, though. 

I'm not 100% sure it IS the only one. We got 5 skulls, and this was probably inside one of those. How would I go about driving potential roaches out of feral hog skulls without harming the roaches or the skulls? 

That's a very nice bonus to the skulls. Are you thinking there might be more inside the skulls? Eventually they'll get hungry. I usually have good luck luring out escapees in the middle of the night with some nice ripe and stinky fruit. 

I found more! 

We brought back a total of 5 skulls, 3 with lower jaws, but 4 of them had damaged enough sinuses that the roaches didn't seem to like em any. There were, in fact, 5 more! The skulls are now outside where the sun will scare out any remainder. I don't think there are any, though- I held the skulls perpendicular to the sinus cavities and smacked them until roaches fell out. 

I got 4 at about 7mm, one at about 15mm. The first one I found has vanished into my peppered roach enclosure, but now that I have more, I've isolated these 5 in their own enclosure. For now they have an inch of coco fiber, a few hardwood leaves, and a bit of pretzel to chew on- I'm tired, so they get something makeshift. Later I'll put them in something with a topsoil/aquarium sand substrate, I think.

They came from a skull that was found under some sort of mesquite-type bush. A couple hundred yards from the water, I think. There were a lot of dead bits from the trees on the ground, and the ground itself was very sandy. It was definitely out of where the waves would even remotely get to, and sheltered from storms. It definitely gets pretty hot out there. Hopefully these are okay in less hot temps, I'm not gonna put them in something big enough to safely heat. 

It was on the island Ni'ihau, which is a small island inhabited by about 200 people, off the coast of the rest. It's largely untouched by human activity, and I'm not sure how much it's been explored. I know someone introduced wild boars at some point, and eland antelope, and who knows what else, so these could be from Africa along with those? Could also be Hawaiian. It's almost in sight of the main islands in Hawai'i, so I think a flying roach could get blown out there in a storm, or it could have come out somehow on a boat. 

I know I can't get a proper ID until they mature, but does anyone have any guesses at what they are? I don't know how to keep these!