Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thelifemotif

Enclosure for Panchlora nivea/Gyna lurida

Recommended Posts

Hi! I've recently bought online these species and I am setting the enclosure for them, they are not arrived yet... I've set up this enclosure  which could be used either for P. Nivea or G. Lurida dependings on which would fit better in it according to your opinion, but I am planning to build something similar for the other specie. It's basically a wide plastic box with some openings I've made and closed with mosquito net and hot glue, it has a large lid but also a smaller entrance I've made recycling a DVD box (it worked pretty well actually) so that If I need to open the container at night or for feeding I won't let the whole colony fly away! Inside there's a heat cable for the winter (T normally is 17-18 C in the house), and the subtrate is made of coco fiber, peat moss, sphagnum moss and powdered leaves (I've crushed some dried oak leaves and others). On the top there is a layer of dried leaves sterilized in the owen. 

Do you think it could be a fine arrangement for one of these species?

IMG-20190823-024456.jpgIMG-20190823-024456.jpg

IMG-20190823-024456.jpgIMG-20190823-024456.jpgIMG-20190823-024456.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that enclosure will work great for the Gyna lurida, maybe add one or two bark hides or egg carton flats for the adults. Panchlora spp. enjoy a lot more hides as adults, and prefer a more humid enclosure, (it looks like you're going with a humidity gradient in the pictured enclosure, which Gyna like). Also, I would put the heat cable UNDER the enclosure, not IN it, as that could be harmful for the roaches... I have always put my heat cable underneath my bins, with great success. Love the idea of the little feeding port by the way, I do think that'd definitely be more useful for the Panchlora than the G.lurida.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

I think that enclosure will work great for the Gyna lurida, maybe add one or two bark hides or egg carton flats for the adults. Panchlora spp. enjoy a lot more hides as adults, and prefer a more humid enclosure, (it looks like you're going with a humidity gradient in the pictured enclosure, which Gyna like). Also, I would put the heat cable UNDER the enclosure, not IN it, as that could be harmful for the roaches... I have always put my heat cable underneath my bins, with great success. Love the idea of the little feeding port by the way, I do think that'd definitely be more useful for the Panchlora than the G.lurida.

1) I added some half bamboo sticks (large), some barks/woods and some very large leaves I've found, so that they can climb. I would like to avoid egg cartoons since I like the "natural" look it has now :) 

2) For the Panchlora I've built a similar container but with a smaller net window so that it would keep more humidity in it, of course the opening can be closed completely if necessary. Should I do something extra to keep the humidity for them? (Is there a specific substrate to use?) 

 If they like more hides I could use some big pieces of bark, coco shells, and some woods if it's fine. 

3) About the "humidity gradient" it should be enough the net windows (the enclosure will be more dry close to it) or should I also use some other strategy like using two substrates? They heat cable it's already not simmetrical to provide temperature gradient. I think if I also give them something to climb gyna will use it to avoid the substrate and stay drier if they wish. My G. Centurio are great climbers!

For the heat cable I prefer to use it inside since it's much more efficient energetically, and this cable doesn't really get hot (I've tested it), it's also completely insulated. Plus I am planning to use it with a dimmer to lower the power as needed. Btw it's already 15w the minimun available... 

4) Thanks! Anyway I've made another port like that also the in the second container so now both have a secondary access just to be sure!

Anyway thanks for answering!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 10:51 AM, thelifemotif said:

1) I added some half bamboo sticks (large), some barks/woods and some very large leaves I've found, so that they can climb. I would like to avoid egg cartoons since I like the "natural" look it has now :) 

2) For the Panchlora I've built a similar container but with a smaller net window so that it would keep more humidity in it, of course the opening can be closed completely if necessary. Should I do something extra to keep the humidity for them? (Is there a specific substrate to use?) 

 If they like more hides I could use some big pieces of bark, coco shells, and some woods if it's fine. 

3) About the "humidity gradient" it should be enough the net windows (the enclosure will be more dry close to it) or should I also use some other strategy like using two substrates? They heat cable it's already not simmetrical to provide temperature gradient. I think if I also give them something to climb gyna will use it to avoid the substrate and stay drier if they wish. My G. Centurio are great climbers!

For the heat cable I prefer to use it inside since it's much more efficient energetically, and this cable doesn't really get hot (I've tested it), it's also completely insulated. Plus I am planning to use it with a dimmer to lower the power as needed. Btw it's already 15w the minimun available... 

4) Thanks! Anyway I've made another port like that also the in the second container so now both have a secondary access just to be sure!

Anyway thanks for answering!  

1) Sounds good, the Gyna adults should like that! :)

2) That should be OK, and your current substrate mix should work for Panchlora just fine. And yes, definitely give them lots of bark and stuff to hide in. :)

3) The ventilation should be enough to give them a good humidity gradient, just water one side of the enclosure every couple days, and don't water the other side with the heat cable. 

Well that's up to you I suppose, hope putting the heat cable in the enclosure works well for your roaches! 

4) Nice, that'll make feeding a lot easier! :)

No problem, happy to help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! Now both species are arrived and they seemed very healty when I handled them to put the in the enclosures, I have like 50 mixed gynas and 100+ Panchloras, I ordered the 120 pack but I think that considering the tiny neanids they are actually more than 200. Anyway they quickly disappear in their enclosure and I almost never see them except for crazy gyna males at night, is that normal? Panchlora neanids are invisible while adults are on one side of the container doing nothig. Both almost do not eat. I think this should be normal at the beginning but I don't know.... I also think since now the weather it's not so much hot 20-23 the roaches could not be at their full potential, but I hope the heat cable will create optimal thriving conditions when I will turn it on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thelifemotif said:

Thank you! Now both species are arrived and they seemed very healty when I handled them to put the in the enclosures, I have like 50 mixed gynas and 100+ Panchloras, I ordered the 120 pack but I think that considering the tiny neanids they are actually more than 200. Anyway they quickly disappear in their enclosure and I almost never see them except for crazy gyna males at night, is that normal? Panchlora neanids are invisible while adults are on one side of the container doing nothig. Both almost do not eat. I think this should be normal at the beginning but I don't know.... I also think since now the weather it's not so much hot 20-23 the roaches could not be at their full potential, but I hope the heat cable will create optimal thriving conditions when I will turn it on.

Nice, glad to hear both your species arrived safely! :) Yes, Gyna nymphs and adults spend most of their time underground, with males often going crazy in the enclosure at night. Panchlora nymphs also spend all their time underground, and adults can burrow too, (though they often come out and night, and prefer hiding in between vertically slanted bark pieces and such).

And starter colonies seldom eat much, it may take a while for you to notice feeding activity, especially if you are feeding them a lot. But once their numbers explode, trust me, food will disappear quickly! 😅 However, even big Gyna lurida colonies don't seem to eat that much compared to other roaches, to be honest. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, Hisserdude said:

Nice, glad to hear both your species arrived safely! :) Yes, Gyna nymphs and adults spend most of their time underground, with males often going crazy in the enclosure at night. Panchlora nymphs also spend all their time underground, and adults can burrow too, (though they often come out and night, and prefer hiding in between vertically slanted bark pieces and such).

And starter colonies seldom eat much, it may take a while for you to notice feeding activity, especially if you are feeding them a lot. But once their numbers explode, trust me, food will disappear quickly! 😅 However, even big Gyna lurida colonies don't seem to eat that much compared to other roaches, to be honest. 

Ok perfect! But does gyna lurida eat less than other gynas species or rather it's a common feature of all gynas compared to other roaches? 

Anyway this are some pictures I've taken :)

 

Screenshot-158.png

Screenshot-168.png

Screenshot-161.png

Screenshot-172.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×