Hi from NC...

Justin

Hey guys, my name is Justin.  I have thought about owning hissers for some time now since getting away from reptiles but just recently made the jump.  I am really enjoying keeping them so far but I do have a question for the community...

I have 3 adult G. oblongonota and will be getting 2 E. Javanica in the next day or so.  These guys will be pets only, not feeders.  I have no problem with understanding and providing a good diet as far as fresh fruits and vegetables are concerned.  On the other hand, there is a lot of confusing (not necessarily wrong) information out there for a beginner like myself as far as protein sources and percentages are concerned. 

First I was investigating high quality dog foods and fish flakes but that seems frowned upon by some for containing too high of a percentage of protein.  Now I am looking at the roach chow from Josh's Frogs, which sits at about 15% protein.  The cost of this food is not an issue if it would be a healthier option.  Is the high protein/additives a problem for pet roaches health in general, or only for those that will be used as feeders?  I'm kind of confused here and any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I'm just trying to give these guys the best diet and longest life possible.  

Thank you in advance.  -Justin

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, Justin said:

Hey guys, my name is Justin.  I have thought about owning hissers for some time now since getting away from reptiles but just recently made the jump.  I am really enjoying keeping them so far but I do have a question for the community...

First I was investigating high quality dog foods and fish flakes but that seems frowned upon by some for containing too high of a percentage of protein. Now I am looking at the roach chow from Josh's Frogs, which sits at about 15% protein. The cost of this food is not an issue if it would be a healthier option. Is the high protein/additives a problem for pet roaches health in general, or only for those that will be used as feeders?

Hello Justin, welcome to the forum! :D

Honestly if you go with dog food, I'd go with the lower quality stuff, as that usually contains more grain based materials, which may be better for the roaches. I never had a problem using cheap dog or cat kibble for my roaches, (though I use unmedicated chick feed now for an unrelated reason, which also works great), supposedly cat foods can cause roaches to accumulate too much uric acid, but no breeder I know of has ACTUALLY had that problem occur...

In any case, I believe the protein debate usually concerns animals used as feeders, when it comes to those being used as pets it hardly matters, and if the protein is actually "too high", (not a problem I've ever encountered), then they can just choose to eat more fruits and veggies instead, (so long as you provide them). :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Thank you for the welcome and the info!  It's much appreciated.

I woke up this morning to find one of my two G Oblongonota females hanging from a stick, turning her ootheca.

I hadn't planned on getting this deep this quick but oh well lol.  I will need a much larger quantity of cheap dog food in the near future it appears...

• Like 1