Jump to content

Recommended Posts

roach_studies_by_shon2_ddfhrdy-pre.jpg?t

Got the opportunity to draw some of my roaches for a school assignment :) These are just sketches, but I would love to do some nicely rendered art of them soon. 

I would love to see more art of bugs while I'm here! If any of y'all wanna share your art here, please do :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, Shon2 said:

Got the opportunity to draw some of my roaches for a school assignment :) These are just sketches, but I would love to do some nicely rendered art of them soon. 

I would love to see more art of bugs while I'm here! If any of y'all wanna share your art here, please do :)

Beautiful, very nice sketches! :D I've tried drawing some roaches in the past, I always mess up on the legs though... 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, Hisserdude said:

Beautiful, very nice sketches! :D I've tried drawing some roaches in the past, I always mess up on the legs though... 😅

What is it about the legs that gives you trouble? :0 And what medium do you work in? I'm sure your art still looks pretty roachy, even if you see details that aren't completely accurate. The legs on my sketches aren't perfect either! :'D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, Shon2 said:

What is it about the legs that gives you trouble? :0 And what medium do you work in? I'm sure your art still looks pretty roachy, even if you see details that aren't completely accurate. The legs on my sketches aren't perfect either! :'D

Just getting the segments right and in a natural looking position, which I'm sure could be fixed with practice. :) I use good old fashioned clicky pencils and paper, don't have a drawing tablet or anything, (though I would like one eventually). Your stuff looks way better, that's for sure! 😅

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are my best two IMO:

52653765_778517832532879_347632187627012

52803708_778517769199552_474740576521027

The models:

H.apolinariAdult%25235.JPG

Anallacta%252315.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

These are my best two IMO:

52653765_778517832532879_347632187627012

52803708_778517769199552_474740576521027

The models:

H.apolinariAdult%25235.JPG

Anallacta%252315.JPG

I love these! Your work is great, it looks very accurate to the cuties in the photos :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shon2 said:

I love these! Your work is great, it looks very accurate to the cuties in the photos :)

Thanks, I'm glad you think so! :D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shon, These are excellent. I could actually see something like this being used for scientific illustration (I have commissioned such illustrations before). One of my friends had to do similar sketches for a graduate entomology class and really enjoyed it, those were less holistic and more close ups of parts though. Keep it up.

Hisserdude, yours are actually pretty good too. They mostly just lack shading. And I totally get the point about not being able to get the legs to look natural. I can get it if I copy an image closely, but free hand, I think I just don't 100% understand the legs and joints. They are so alien its hard to make sense of it sometimes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, varnon said:

Shon, These are excellent. I could actually see something like this being used for scientific illustration (I have commissioned such illustrations before). One of my friends had to do similar sketches for a graduate entomology class and really enjoyed it, those were less holistic and more close ups of parts though. Keep it up.

Hisserdude, yours are actually pretty good too. They mostly just lack shading. And I totally get the point about not being able to get the legs to look natural. I can get it if I copy an image closely, but free hand, I think I just don't 100% understand the legs and joints. They are so alien its hard to make sense of it sometimes.

Thank you so so much for this! I really appreciate it 😆 I would love to do some actual scientific illustrations, whenever I can get the time to sit down and draw for something outside of class, I'd love to do studies based off your work/ with similar intentions. Can you share your work here? I'd love to see it, but no big deal if you can't upload em. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done a few cockroach learning/behavior studies, but nothing published yet, so nothing I can share at the moment. A fair bit of my published work is with bees, you can see here: http://cavarnon.com/publications If it has a link, its open access, if not, then it is something I'm not actually allowed to share freely.

Bees are a little higher maintenance, and I don't like getting stung in the face, so I'm really shifting my work toward cockroaches this year. It'll probably be at least a year before I have something sharable, but of course I'll share everything with the group here. In the mean time, here is one of my colleagues's web page: https://www.roachlab.org/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 8:37 AM, varnon said:

Hisserdude, yours are actually pretty good too. They mostly just lack shading. And I totally get the point about not being able to get the legs to look natural. I can get it if I copy an image closely, but free hand, I think I just don't 100% understand the legs and joints. They are so alien its hard to make sense of it sometimes

Yeah I'm terrible with shading in all my art... 😅 And yeah if I'm looking at an image I can copy legs decently, but free hand I really don't know how to make them look realistic... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×