Sign in to follow this  
Betta132

Domino roaches mating! And a slight malfunction.

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

I caught these two in the process of making more roaches. Pretty neat to see, since the females only mate the once. 

image0.jpg?width=473&height=630

Also found this little lady. At least, I'm guessing it's a lady based on the antennae. She's awful small, should really be at least a quarter inch longer and wider, and clearly her wings aren't right. I'm guessing they didn't expand properly. One wing is about the right shape and size, and then there's that other one, that I hope doesn't give her any trouble. She seems healthy enough otherwise, she's moving normally. Hopefully she's fertile. 

What causes this? Is she likely to just be a particularly small roach, or did something go wrong? They've had plenty of leaves and some occasional cat food and apple, and the others (a dozen or so) that I've had mature have all been fine.

• Like 1

Congrats on the mating! :D The deformation could be just a random genetic fluke, or the enclosure could have been a tad too dry, she may have been disturbed or jostled around while molting, not enough nutrition, etc., it can be hard to pinpoint the cause of such deformities sometimes... In any case it shouldn't affect her health at all, and she should be good to breed too! :)