thoughts on lack of roach "merch"

emmett

anyone else always on the look out for roach related items? i dont care im a grown man...where is my roach teddy bear?! where are the epic graphic tshirts with roach jokes on them in obnoxious fonts?! where are the pins, patches, and stickers?!

other than etsy sometimes and the bronx zoo doing their name a roach event annually, if you find anything relating to roaches its usually american roaches. there are so many different beautiful species, and while it isnt the most common hobby i think its big enough where we probably have some creatives! the name a roach thing is cute, but as much as i love the 2020 events roach socks i really dont want to drop 30 bucks on some socks ill never wear bc i dont even like socks lol. i usually just do the name thing and have the little card sent to a friend with a meme or inside joke as the name, but last year i got an adorable enamel pin. that one was worth it lol

im not really a 'stuff' kind of guy but still. imagine if there were all different roach kinds of knickknacks like there are for dogs or butterflies...omg. 

ive been playing around with the making of roach related cross stitch and embroidery patterns but i dont think ill ever get around to making them sellable (maybe the patterns some day) but i wonder if anyone else is in the business of roach related merchandise!

I did a roach research project with a student, and later her mother did the name a roach thing for us, and got us roach mugs and beanie hats. It sort of surprised me, especially because I already had plenty of roaches I could name, but it was a nice gesture.

I would be all for more merch, and yes, especially non-American cockroach things. People just have the idea that American cockroaches are what everything are. More varied merch could help dispel that.

7 hours ago, varnon said:

. People just have the idea that American cockroaches are what everything are. More varied merch could help dispel that.

i totally agree! a lot of people freak out when they ask if i have any pets and among the zoo in this house i say cockroaches, but after i talk more about "no they arent the yucky ones, no they dont run around loose in my home" they usually seem either mildly interested or at least less grossed out. i know ive hooked 'em when they start asking lots of questions.

like in many areas, having education about the topic can make a lot of difference. when its presented in a way thats not like "YOU ARE WRONG!!!1! WHY DO YOU FEEL [in this case, disgusted] ABOUT THIS?!!1?!!!?1!!?1?!?!??" people are more willing to hear you out. and as much as its easier to say "ugh just go google it" i think that if the time is available to give basic answers then its more likely they will learn vs saying they will google it and never doing it.

nobody has to know a reason why we love this hobby and if they think its nasty i guess they just shouldnt do it then lol, but its always nice to hear "i still think its gross but it sounds like its important to you" or "i hate them still, but they dont sound too bad" over whining and complaining about someone elses roach population. 

2 hours ago, Arthroverts said:

local invertebrate club

say whaaaaaaaaaaa :^0

i need to figure out how to find one of those around me...might have to start one.

"Got Roaches" is cute! a friend of mine got the phrase "want to see my cockroaches? no? fair enough....what about my cock?" printed on a few stickers for me as a gift once lmao ill have to see if i can find the rest of them somewhere for a picture 

@Allpet Roaches, whatever happened to the ACS?

11 hours ago, emmett said:

might have to start one

That's what I did. There aren't very many active invertebrate clubs with physical meetings that I know of other than my local one, but if there are any around you I would suggest either looking on Arachnoboards or on Facebook (I personally don't use it, but that's what a lot of groups seem to use to communicate) to see if you can find them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

On 1/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, Allpet Roaches said:

American Cockroach Society Wear

I'm surprised this still works, it hasn't been updated in nine years.

the internets funny like that, i feel like an archeologist sometimes when i discover something thats been buried in time. nine years sometimes feels like its a billion in internet time

21 hours ago, Arthroverts said:

@Allpet Roaches, whatever happened to the ACS?

That's what I did. There aren't very many active invertebrate clubs with physical meetings that I know of other than my local one, but if there are any around you I would suggest either looking on Arachnoboards or on Facebook (I personally don't use it, but that's what a lot of groups seem to use to communicate) to see if you can find them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

ill have to look into it! maybe then ill have some excuse to grow my collection if i can say its for a reason lol even if itd just be a couple people, it would be fun! 

@emmett, it is true that my collection has bloomed since starting the club, through purchases, trades, gifts, group buys, imports, etc.

If you have any questions about potentially starting your own club feel free to ask, I'd be happy to share my experience from the past year of leading this one. We need more invertebrate clubs in the world...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

1 minute ago, emmett said:

wowza 😍😍😍 thanks @Hisserdude, helpful as always

No problem, not gonna lie I may have to ask for one of those posters as a birthday present... 😂 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, emmett said:

@Hisserdude the adult female psuedoglomeris magnifica always takes my breath away! definitely going to pick up that one, perfect room decor! you definitely found a gem! and happy early birthday if i dont make it online! 🎉🎂

Yeah, it's a beautiful species, definitely looks good on a poster! 😁 No problem man, and thank you very much, I appreciate it! 😄