Mold on my turkestan roach oothecas

Aow

If they are molding at the seam of the oothecae, it likely means they were dead inside already, and the mold took advantage of the decaying organic matter. If the mold is growing elsewhere, it can be wiped off and the ooths may be fine, such mold growth may be due to something stuck to the oothecae shell itself, or the substrate you have them on. 

1 hour ago, Hisserdude said:

If they are molding at the seam of the oothecae, it likely means they were dead inside already, and the mold took advantage of the decaying organic matter. If the mold is growing elsewhere, it can be wiped off and the ooths may be fine, such mold growth may be due to something stuck to the oothecae shell itself, or the substrate you have them on. 

Thanks so much for the help!

The mold didnt start on the seam of most of them, so I'll try to wipe those off.

What do you think the chances are that the ooths with mold growing at the seam are infertile? I don't have any males in with my females currently because I fed too many to my herps and the last surviving male died from natural causes, but I've also heard females can hold sperm for quite some time before they run out. Is it worth leaving them in there just in case?

11 hours ago, Aow said:

Thanks so much for the help!

The mold didnt start on the seam of most of them, so I'll try to wipe those off.

What do you think the chances are that the ooths with mold growing at the seam are infertile? I don't have any males in with my females currently because I fed too many to my herps and the last surviving male died from natural causes, but I've also heard females can hold sperm for quite some time before they run out. Is it worth leaving them in there just in case?

OK, probably just something to do with the substrate they're on, or some organic matter stuck to the oothecae. 

It's possible ooths molding at the seams could be infertile duds, sure. Adult female roaches of most species seem to only need to mate once in their life to keep producing fertile ooths though, so if your females were with healthy males at one point in their lives, they've been mated and are fertilized...