Polyphaga saussurei

This is a female of the Polyphaga saussurei (Dohrn, 1888). I caught her during my expedition to the Kyzylkum desert, in southern Kazakhstan. They live in burrows of monitor lizards and other desert animals. That was at the end of August. Yesterday I noticed her ooteca, it is very pleasing, but there is a risk that nothing will be born from it.

0_ugatNdOw4.jpg

Po6RNsQzESw.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, the strain of P.saussurei we have established in the hobby right now is a parthenogenetic one, but it's possible your WC female might not produce any viable offspring via parthenogenesis... Time will tell I suppose, keep in mind even viable oothecae can take up to eight months to hatch! 

7 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Хорошо , штамм P.saussurei, который мы установили в хобби прямо сейчас, является партеногенетическим, но возможно, что ваша самка в туалете может не дать жизнеспособного потомства посредством партеногенеза ... Время покажет, я полагаю, имейте в виду, даже жизнеспособные oothecae на вывод может уйти до восьми месяцев! 

Yes, of course. It is hoped that this female mated with a male in the desert. It would be excellent :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Yes, of course. It is hoped that this female mated with a male in the desert. It would be excellent :)

Well if she was indeed collected as an adult, I'm inclined to believe she's probably been fertilized. :) More sexual reproducing stocks of this species would be nice, I'd love to see what a live, full grown male looks like in person!

33 minutes ago, Hisserdude said:

Ну, если она действительно была взята взрослой, я склонен полагать, что она, вероятно, была оплодотворена. :)Было бы неплохо более сексуально размножающихся видов этого вида, я бы хотел посмотреть, как живой, взрослый мужчина выглядит лично!

Yes, she was already at the adult stage. Will hope! :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gromphadorhini said:

Yes, she was already at the adult stage. Will hope! :)

Keep us updated, hope you have luck in getting fertile oothecae from her! :D