Homelander

isopods + green banana roaches

I bought some giant green banana roaches a while back and they came with a few powder orange isopods which was nice, but after a few months the isopods multiplied from 10 to 100+. Will having too many isopods in a gasket sterilite box 54Q disrupt my giant green banana roaches? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Im not too experienced with Panchlora, but i do know that Powdery orange isopods are one of the fastest breeding isopods, so down the line the isopods may try to outcompete the roaches for food, or if the isopods are hungry enough, *may* try to eat a molting roach, as they're more protein hungry than roaches are in my experience, however they would rather eat a dead non-moving roach than a live one.

If you have plenty of leaf litter in their enclosure, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Panchlora are kinda finicky, so I feel like keeping a prolific isopod species in with them that will directly compete with them for food would be a bad idea in the long run... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If i keep food in there for all, will they not bother one another? I'm considering removing the roaches 1 by 1 and separating the isopods 

• Like 2

Its probably a good idea to seperate the roaches and isopods. Maybe consider adding springtails with the roaches? Springtails are very small and are great at controlling mold and grain mites!

• Like 1

Thing is it'll be hard to tell what's eating what, the isopods could smother the roaches and crowd food before the roaches can get to it. You could feed much larger quantities of food to prevent this, but then you run the risk of fueling pest populations as well... If possible I'd recommend keeping the Panchlora by themselves. 

Thank you all for your advice, I will take it and try my best to separate them. Any suggestions on how to trap the isopods? They are literally everywhere and i got about 70 of them separated. Maybe if I put a piece of bread in there they will eat it and I can just take the bread and put them in another container? Thank you all for your help

I just added zebra isopods to my speckled panchlora bin. They reproduce a bit slower and are as smothering as others. Figured they shouldn't bother each other and would make a good clean up crew.