Roach Escapes

Posted by JC on 7/11/2007, 8:28 am

Ok, I told yall about my lateralis escapes. Yesterday I opened up my big box and found some lobster roaches up around the top lid, inside my lateralis and discoid boxes. So how well do lobster roaches fly? I had no lid on it but a wide band of bug barrier. On the lateralis tote I'd had vasoline and the lobsters couldn't climb out of it. I'm trying to decide if the bug barrier is no good even though it stops the babies, or if they're flying out. My crates are no where near the top of the tote.

Thanks

aven_soulgazer@yahoo.com

Posted by JC on 7/12/2007, 10:37 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach Escapes"

That's what's happening. I put a lid on it and still found some out in the big box. I also see babies running around in the bottom of the big box.I guess by winter my woods will be infested with discoids, lateralis, and lobster roaches.

• Like 1

Posted by Rookie on 7/16/2007, 6:36 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach Escapes"

I have hissers, spotted orange and lobsters - I have not had any problems with my barriers. I have only been in about 4 months now but one tote has vasoline and olive oil. The others has bug barrier and I haven't even seen the roaches up over the crates.

Lobsters scare me though. I hear too much about them. But I still have not seen them up near the top. I have plastic totes (18 inches tall).

Posted by JC on 7/17/2007, 10:39 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach Escapes"

I'm not sure how tall mine is. I've seen them try getting up the bug barrier but none make it when I'm watching. I put the lid on the container and it's helped but still escaping. I didn't put barrier up to the top edge so I think they're flying up to that part and then climbing out. Maybe. All the lobsters have been males, on the lateralis though there were some juvies out.

Posted by Rookie on 7/18/2007, 7:43 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach Escapes"

That is scary. Do you have any other holes or "screen" that they could get to - ex: air holes etc...

The only other explanation could be that you are accidently removing them. Do you change water/food dishes often? Clean out the bin completly transfering all the roaches? I know I have almost done that a few times. Those little ones hide everywhere.

Posted by JC on 7/18/2007, 10:56 pm, in reply to "Re: Roach Escapes"

I have a solid lid on them. I don't think I have had any escape since I put that on but I could be wrong, but I haven't seen any. I don't remove any food. They eat it all and I haven't cleaned out the bin yet. I just received them a couple of weeks ago. My hissers need to be cleaned out though.