Armadillidium hybrids

Allpet Roaches

Oh no not another hybridization epidemic, you know how many people are keeping isopod species of the same genera with each other right now? 😂 I was hoping it was impossible for them to hybridize... 

9 minutes ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I may be jumping the gun but the spots on some of the partly grown "klugii" look like short stripes (a line instead of a spot). They are only about 4 mm but I don't remember klugii babies looking like that before.

Well keep us posted, will be interesting to see what they turn into! 

22 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I put a photo of mate guarding between the two species in the Isopod Zoology book but I thought it was all just in fun at that time.

Yeah I saw that, didn't think much of it though since those two species seemed quite different and I have yet to see anyone else report hybridization... 

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, Acro said:

Any updates Orin?

I have boatloads of hybrids. I even put them on my trade/sale list. I will have a pic on the August 2020 invert mag cover front or back. I'm so behind on it, it might not ship till Aug. 31. When I do I'll post the cover pic here (assuming it's on the front).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, MrGhostMantis said:

I don’t recommend selling them, it may muddle the species.

I agree very much with you in the sense that unidentified hybrids have led to some tainted blood lines. Since the two "species" are sympatric it is unlikely they really are different species. In the case of hissers there's the idea that in nature they are isolated so maybe they're 'real' species but the types for these are "both" Dalmatia.

• Like 1